Finally. I have decided.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I agree. Outside is best. But in winter Billy certainly needs to come inside. Sorry but I think I might drop the IDEa do plastic containers. Because cinder blocks can be extended whenever you need a bigger cage. :) sorry.
Don't be sorry it's a much better idea. Place the blocks line it with some plastic and put in some dirt and mulch set the lights up and your good to go.

yillt

Ok. I have had an idea. I will use the cinder blocks but I will be keeping him inside. He will be just under a window. The room will be hot and the UVB light will come from the sun. Does he still need a lamp. Sorry if the answer is yes and you all get angry because I should have known. But it is better to ask then do it and it all go's wrong. Would this work?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
An old bookcase works pretty good. Usually cheap, even free sometimes.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ok. I have had an idea. I will use the cinder blocks but I will be keeping him inside. He will be just under a window. The room will be hot and the UVB light will come from the sun. Does he still need a lamp. Sorry if the answer is yes and you all get angry because I should have known. But it is better to ask then do it and it all go's wrong. Would this work?
We won't get angry. It's what the forum is for. The only concern is UVB is greatly filtered to almost useless percentages through glass. So it will shed UVA(warmth) through by not UVB or UVC which is what is beneficial to reptiles. So adding an indoor mercury vapor bulb or UVB tube bulb will need to be in order. Everything else,sounds perfect.

StuMac

5 Year Member
Sorry if the answer is yes and you all get angry because I should have known. But it is better to ask then do it and it all go's wrong. Would this work?

Don't worry about anyone giving you grief for asking questions! Remember that you are much younger than most of us, and the only way to learn is to ask questions. You want what's best for your pet, and are going the right way about it. Keep up the questions, and you will have a long happy life as you watch your tort grow!

yillt

Ok. UVB light it is. I think my final decision is cinder blocks but if anyone has any other suggestions please tell me.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I think cinder blocks are the easiest for you. Landscape timbers would work very well too. But that requires cutting with a saw and screwing them together, so a bit more labor involved.

yillt

If it was against. The inside wall of a house wouLD HE try to bite of flakes of paint?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If it was against. The inside wall of a house wouLD HE try to bite of flakes of paint?
Possible, they do get into stuff sometimes.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Probably not. But would be best not to allow ingestion of paint. You could line a portion of the wall with plastic that's going to hold the mulch and soil in up that wall. I'd doubt he would try to eat any of t
It. But better safe than sorry.

yillt

Probably not. But would be best not to allow ingestion of paint. You could line a portion of the wall with plastic that's going to hold the mulch and soil in up that wall. I'd doubt he would try to eat any of t
It. But better safe than sorry.
That is exactly what I would say. Better safe than sorry. I just thought for some
Reason I would add a photo of Billy. As he is the centre of all this talk. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403284918.202950.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Billy is awesome. He does look quite curious I that white item. So I'd say for sure better do the safer than sorry routine :)

yillt

Billy is awesome. He does look quite curious I that white item. So I'd say for sure better do the safer than sorry routine :)
He is very curious. I have no idea what the white stuff is. My mum says it is a form of moss called lichi or something beginning with L. He always tries to eat it. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403285302.179167.jpgAll he does all day is search for that stuff. It is hilarious. :)

yillt

He is very curious. I have no idea what the white stuff is. My mum says it is a form of moss called lichi or something beginning with L. He always tries to eat it. View attachment 84351All he does all day is search for that stuff. It is hilarious. :)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403285376.910542.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403285413.091724.jpg Here are a few more I took just now.

yillt

He is pyramiding abit. Is this pyramiding REALLY bad? how bad will it be when he is fully grown.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Not really. Especially as minor as that on him. Now when you get tortoises that are "stacked" and have MBD that is a very serious issue. Stacking looks like termite columns. Just keep feeding him good foods, offer soaking and humid area for him, and new growth will come in perfect. What is already there can't change. But it's not bad at all.