First time out of the incubator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
The yolk sac is completley absorbed, so it's time to head out into the real world.

This was immediatley after I threw her in her set up.

015.jpg

She has started to nibble at the growing grass in there, also took a few bites at her arms.:)

This is her set up. I'm actually not too pleased with it right now. I have the substrate pretty moist, and the temps on the cool end are in the mid 70's. I decided to ditch the tank thinking that the rubbermaid tub would be easier to move, but it also has a lot more air flow. So till I figure that out, she'll be sleeping in the incubator.

021-1.jpg

There is about 5 inches of peat moss, with a layer of cypress mulch on the top. She has a humid burrow, that is below ground level. It's an upright plastic container with the lid on and a hole cut towards the top. I put some damp sphagnum moss on top to cover it up, but it's easy to remove so I can access the hide if I need to.

014.jpg

She likes it so far.

018-1.jpg

I know there are risks keeping a leopard babcocki this moist, but I do have experience with hatchlings and know what to watch out for. Believe me, I am approaching this with extreme caution. Like Tom, and most of us, I want nothing more than to have my hatchlings grow up with 'Perfect' smooth shells. This is an adaptation of Tom's experiments applied to Gp. Babcocki.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks, Timothy grass and grazing tortoise mix.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hey Neal...That's GREAT! Nutritious and humid...can't beat that! I don't foresee the moisture thing being a problem so long as your heat levels are escalated! But I know that you know what you're doing! Are you gonna keep 'em or you planning to sell them eventually?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think I'm actually going to keep these and sell some of my adults. Depends on how smooth they grow. :)
I had 28 eggs incubating originally, one hatched and one exploded. A lot are fertile, but only about 5 are really developing. I really don't know what I want to do for sure, a lot will depend on how many hatch.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is an awfully pretty baby. I hope it keeps its light coloration.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She looks great Neal. I'm thrilled that you are raising her this way. Can't wait to see how it goes.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Beautiful baby! I'm loving the enclosure and all the growth, looks like she's one lucky little leopard! Congrats...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What a gorgeous baby! The enclosure looks great too :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Congrats very nice little leo love the enclosure I like home you made his hide one lucky little leo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.