First time to post! How am I doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
Thank you everyone for all the information! And thanks Jess for posting this! I love Spike's outside home. I recently got 2 Sulcata hatchlings...named Little Foot and Spike! I'm am soooooo stressed with these babies! So much information and different opinions. I got one of those long under the bed storage containers at Walmart for under $10 and have that as their outside area for now. I thought it was great at first..now I'm afraid that it's too hot or that they don't like the dirt (I just used the dirt from our yard and keep it damp). UGH! They are cute but I can't wait until they are older and I don't have to stress as much! I'm afraid to feed the many of our grass because every 2 months it's been sprayed for bugs. It has been 2 months since the last spray but I don't know if it's ok...I actually don't even know if they spray the entire yard or just the fence line. I will be calling them tomorrow. These babies are way more stressful than human babies to me! At least those ones let you know when they aren't happy!

jessrich87

5 Year Member
You should see his outside area now! The grass has spread all over. He plays in a little jungle... Lol I'm setting up his new indoor area now. I'll post pics later.

By the way, I love the names you picked out and it's funny that we both have babies named Spike :)

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. Where in the world are you? It helps us to give more appropriate advice if we know your climate a little more. Someone in Pheonix would need to do things quite a lot differently than someone in Seattle.

Here are some tips based on what you've told us:
1. I think EVERYONE is going to tell you to get a bigger enclosure right away. I start my brand new hatchlings in nothing smaller than a 40 gallon, but lately I've been using a 4x4' enclosure. They need lots of room to move.
2. What sort of UV bulb are you using? If its one of those coil type cfl bulbs, it can damage their eyes, especially in such a small enclosure. I recommend you not use that, if that's what you have. If your tortoise is getting regular sunshine outside, you do not need any artificial UV inside.
3. Your heating and lighting strategy all sounds okay, but make sure you know your four temps, monitor them, and adjust as needed.
4. Outside make sure the temps are okay. Use a temp gun and check it frequently. Sounds like he might need more shade. Also, cat bowls usually are too tall, steep and slick. I highly recommend a terra cotta plant saucer instead. S can drown in the wrong types of water bowls or get stuck in them outside in the sun.
5. Lastly, poultry netting is better than nothing, but be careful. Most of the predators we all need to worry about can get through or around poultry netting pretty easily. A cover made of hardware cloth or welded wire would be much more sturdy and predator resistant.

If you click the links in my signature, there is a ton of info on housing and raising sulcatas. You might find something you like, even though it sounds like you are off to a pretty good start.

Tom,
-- how EXACTLY do you know CFLs damage tortoises' eyes?

jessrich87

5 Year Member
spikehome.jpg

spikehome2.jpg

and just for fun...
spike-1.jpg

I think he likes it. :) Any suggestions?

Also, where is the best place to order mazuri? Straight from their website?

Thank you.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Much better than a ten gallon tank! As for suggestions, off the top of my head I can think of three: It looks pretty dry in there. Especially since you have an open-top enclosure, I would suggest really soaking the bottom layer of your substrate so things are more humid for Spike. His shell is starting to pyramid a little bit, a more moisture should help! Getting some fake plants to offer more shade/hiding spots would be nice for him as well. My tortoise seems to really enjoy romping through it's false foliage. And, you will probably want to try to find a better way to mount your lamp! Being angled like that causes the bulbs to burn out faster.

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
I use a 50 gallon Rubbermaid as I am in an apartment. I use screening over it with clips to keep the cat from using the tortoise area as a litter box. I can drag the container outside for sun each day, with the exception of the REALLY hot days here in Phoenix, AZ as my patio registers over 117. During the winter our highs are 75-80 so they go out during the warmer hours.

jessrich87

5 Year Member
I could drag this outside if I wanted but he has a nice little pen out there. The temps here are always different unfortunately. Lately it's been around 95-105...

Status
Not open for further replies.