Flipping on his back?

Erenintx

Location (City and/or State)
Nm
So I’ve had my leopard tortoise for about two weeks and I haven’t had this problem until today!

Noodle has somehow flipped himself upside down in his water bowl three times just today!! All three times were near his house. Do y’all think, maybe, he’s trying to get on top of the house and flipping over??

Ideas??7FDA93B8-33FC-41E8-9E84-949233AB6980.jpeg

Attachments

• A885944E-7A67-466D-BE65-7FA7C6C2FB59.jpeg
    A885944E-7A67-466D-BE65-7FA7C6C2FB59.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • 8DED6AC5-B17C-4CFA-BD85-5C236D689CDD.jpeg
    8DED6AC5-B17C-4CFA-BD85-5C236D689CDD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Welcome Erinintx. Is the porcelain bowl his soaking bowl or his water dish? Is he trying to get out of the porcelain bowl when he flips over? Are the other dishes terra cotta/ clay bowls or plastic? What kind of substrate do you have down?

Just some preliminary questions because I'm up late.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Those log hides are pretty notorius for flipping torts, they all spend a lot of time climbing them. There is no need for three dishes in there, just use a single plant saucer for a water dish. You can put the torts food on the substrate. There is also a concern that your tort could get flipped on its back under the basking area, that could potentially be deadly.

myk

London ontario
So I’ve had my leopard tortoise for about two weeks and I haven’t had this problem until today!

Noodle has somehow flipped himself upside down in his water bowl three times just today!! All three times were near his house. Do y’all think, maybe, he’s trying to get on top of the house and flipping over??

Ideas??View attachment 316609
The bowl looks too deep and slippery,,and from what I see others have is water away from his house, use one those other shallow bowls u got there, and his house should be opposite of the basking light so he can get away if he wants from it, hope this might help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Ideas??View attachment 316609
The enclosure is too small, too open, too barren and too dry. He needs some bushes and cover to hide in. He also needs a humid hide.

Clip some mulberry, grape vine, lavatera, or hibiscus branches to throw in there and replace them as they wilt. This will likely stop the behavior. Some potted plants will help too, but there really isn't room for them. Perhaps you could hang the plants from over head?