Fluorescent Uvb

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello guys. I have recently bought a 13w coil bulb from exo terra but while I was doing some research I learned that it was bad for the tortoises eyes. Thankfully I have never used it before reading that. I have decided that I'm going to buy a new fluorescent uvb and I have 3 greek tortoises and a hermann's tortoise. I saw this particular uvb lamp and thought about buying it. Is it good?

Attachments

• arcadiafluorescent.jpg
    arcadiafluorescent.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello guys. I have recently bought a 13w coil bulb from exo terra but while I was doing some research I learned that it was bad for the tortoises eyes. Thankfully I have never used it before reading that. I have decided that I'm going to buy a new fluorescent uvb and I have 3 greek tortoises and a hermann's tortoise. I saw this particular uvb lamp and thought about buying it. Is it good?
Arcadia is a great brand, nut that is not the bulb you want. Look for the "ProT5 Kit". This comes with the correct fixture and reflector and you want the 12% HO bulb.

Read this and at the bottom is a heating and lighting breakdown:

Kansas
Arcadia is a great brand, nut that is not the bulb you want. Look for the "ProT5 Kit". This comes with the correct fixture and reflector and you want the 12% HO bulb.

Read this and at the bottom is a heating and lighting breakdown:
Thank you for the advice! And one last question: I have looked at arcadia's official website and saw 2 different options - 6% and 12% uvb. Which one do you prefer? Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the advice! And one last question: I have looked at arcadia's official website and saw 2 different options - 6% and 12% uvb. Which one do you prefer? Thank you.
In almost all cases the 12% is the way to go. The only reason to go with the 6% is if you have forest dwellers, or if the bulb must be mounted too close for some reason.

LJL1982

UK
I would save hassle of mounts and regulators and allsorts of cable set up dependent on your location and go Arcadia ProT5 kit. Very simple to use and lightweight. You can look at UV range on their site and determine which is best for yours. Needs 12 inch clearance. I've got my spurthighs (Greeks) on Deserts, Hermanns will be fine under that. A simple floodlight basking lamp (they are very cheap from Arcadia) is then great in a hood for basking. Greeks are big baskets so one of those is important.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would save hassle of mounts and regulators and allsorts of cable set up dependent on your location and go Arcadia ProT5 kit. Very simple to use and lightweight. You can look at UV range on their site and determine which is best for yours. Needs 12 inch clearance. I've got my spurthighs (Greeks) on Deserts, Hermanns will be fine under that. A simple floodlight basking lamp (they are very cheap from Arcadia) is then great in a hood for basking. Greeks are big baskets so one of those is important.
They have the UV range listed?
Wow. That's fantastic

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What if you only use 2 hours uvb bulb? Cant seem to find a uvb fluorescent
What type? Cfl? Then you'd only be burning your tortoises eyes for 2 hours.

In the Philippines you should not need any UV bulbs indoors. Put the tortoise in a safe outdoor enclosure with lots of shade, but access to sunshine for and hour a couple few times per week. That will do it. As the tortoise grows, give it more and more time outside. Move it outside full time with an insulated, heated shelter when it gets to around 10 inches. In your climate, you won't need much heat at all, but its good to have it set up for when the temperature does drop a little bit more than normal to less than 27C on a colder "winter" night.

jorgeagdon

Philippines
What type? Cfl? Then you'd only be burning your tortoises eyes for 2 hours.

In the Philippines you should not need any UV bulbs indoors. Put the tortoise in a safe outdoor enclosure with lots of shade, but access to sunshine for and hour a couple few times per week. That will do it. As the tortoise grows, give it more and more time outside. Move it outside full time with an insulated, heated shelter when it gets to around 10 inches. In your climate, you won't need much heat at all, but its good to have it set up for when the temperature does drop a little bit more than normal to less than 27C on a colder "winter" night.
Thanks so much. I've been reading all your care tips and learning a lot.