Foaming at the mouth

ZahraE

Location (City and/or State)
Mombasa
I always put my leopard about 2 year old tortoise in the sun. I live in Kenya so it's pretty hot and humid here already so I use the weather rather than the light bulbs etc.

2 days ago the box that I use to put him in the sun broke so he missed his sun time yesterday. Today when it was back I decided to leave the covering off so he can get enough sun and wouldn't hide away in the shade after just a few. Next thing I know he's foaming in his mouth. I picked him up and he started peeing and almost pooping.

I panicked but did my research and realized he probably overheated. I then put him in room temperature water to soak and cool down and he pooped quite a bit in the water. I have changed the water twice and about to change it the 3rd time. He's doing better with only a few bubbles in his mouth.

Is this all I need to do? Did he really just over heat? I'm not sure I'll be able to get any vet here that can help but if I need to take him to the vet I can find out. Please help.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I always put my leopard about 2 year old tortoise in the sun. I live in Kenya so it's pretty hot and humid here already so I use the weather rather than the light bulbs etc.

2 days ago the box that I use to put him in the sun broke so he missed his sun time yesterday. Today when it was back I decided to leave the covering off so he can get enough sun and wouldn't hide away in the shade after just a few. Next thing I know he's foaming in his mouth. I picked him up and he started peeing and almost pooping.

I panicked but did my research and realized he probably overheated. I then put him in room temperature water to soak and cool down and he pooped quite a bit in the water. I have changed the water twice and about to change it the 3rd time. He's doing better with only a few bubbles in his mouth.

Is this all I need to do? Did he really just over heat? I'm not sure I'll be able to get any vet here that can help but if I need to take him to the vet I can find out. Please help.
Yes, it sounds as though the tortoise was overheated. You are lucky to have found it before it died. This experience can be life threatening, but there is nothing you can do for the animal now other than what you have already done.

That being said, you must always give the tortoise a choice between sun and shade wherever you put it AND be certain that it knows how to find the shade quickly if necessary to keep itself from becoming overheated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree he likely over heated. Keep him inside out of the heat except normal enclosure heat for a few days until he has recovered completely.
When you do put him outside be sure there is lots of shade. Even the uvb can go thru shade that is not heavy and dense. Babies over heat quickly.
Be sure to soak daily for 1/2 hour

ZahraE

Mombasa
Yes, it sounds as though the tortoise was overheated. You are lucky to have found it before it died. This experience can be life threatening, but there is nothing you can do for the animal now other than what you have already done.

That being said, you must always give the tortoise a choice between sun and shade wherever you put it AND be certain that it knows how to find the shade quickly if necessary to keep itself from becoming overheated.
I didn't even realize they could over heat. I'm so thankful I saw him before it was too late.

ZahraE

Mombasa
I agree he likely over heated. Keep him inside out of the heat except normal enclosure heat for a few days until he has recovered completely.
When you do put him outside be sure there is lots of shade. Even the uvb can go thru shade that is not heavy and dense. Babies over heat quickly.
Be sure to soak daily for 1/2 hour
Thank you so much. Should I soak him in warm water or on the cooler side?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
As suggested he over heated, build a secure enclosure with plenty of shade, water, food, and he should be fine. Let the tortoise decide on sun exposure, you will find it coming out to bask and use shade when it wants. You have a lovely tortoise climate so make the most of it. Also protect from snakes so regular checks required.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Regular shallow warm water (30 deg C) soaks in a high sided container for 15 to 30 mins is very beneficial. This hydrates the tortoise they drink and the tail soaks it, cleans it, allows you to spend time with it and it will poo and wee. Dispose of water in a flower bed and use a container dedicated to tortoise i.e a washing up bowl. If you can get a digital temperature gun to test temp is use your fingers MUST NOT be too hot for you to touch and keep your hand in. Another useful thing is to keep a weight log, weigh weekly to see weight gain or loss!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Use regular warm soaking water. He needs to be hydrated but still warm not cold.
The soaks is more for hydration not so much to cool him down. That will come with the regular soak temp.
When over heated they dehydrate quickly.

ZahraE

Mombasa
As suggested he over heated, build a secure enclosure with plenty of shade, water, food, and he should be fine. Let the tortoise decide on sun exposure, you will find it coming out to bask and use shade when it wants. You have a lovely tortoise climate so make the most of it. Also protect from snakes so regular checks required.
I can't keep his enclosure outside yet because I don't have anything to cover the top with so there could be fear of birds; crows attacking him. I however have a smaller box for basking in the sun but I will make sure to always keep the shade part on. There's not many snakes around where I am but we have spotted some grass snakes once in awhile so I will keep that in mind. Thank you for responding.
Regular shallow warm water (30 deg C) soaks in a high sided container for 15 to 30 mins is very beneficial. This hydrates the tortoise they drink and the tail soaks it, cleans it, allows you to spend time with it and it will poo and wee. Dispose of water in a flower bed and use a container dedicated to tortoise i.e a washing up bowl. If you can get a digital temperature gun to test temp is use your fingers MUST NOT be too hot for you to touch and keep your hand in. Another useful thing is to keep a weight log, weigh weekly to see weight gain or loss!
Thank you so much