Fogger for enclosure?

wandrus

8E8922E6-76E1-4A63-955E-E9C19EA0F3DA.png For right now I have an open top enclosure. I have been able to maintain 60% humidity but would like it higher. Would it be ok to use this fogger for her enclosure to help with humidity? Changing enclosures is not an option right now.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lots of people on here have used a shower curtain to cover an open top enclosure to improve humidity. That would not make it bigger or cost too much and I'm sure it would be more effective than a fogger. Hope that helps.

wandrus

I can’t remember how i added this photo to my post. How do i add more photos?

Briannesmith1

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
I use that Fogger because I live in Arizona and there is only ever like 30% humidity outside... so I used tinfoil to cover the top of the cage and put the Fogger tube in through the tinfoil and I’m constantly at 88-93% humidity at all times [emoji16] I’ve heard they tend to break easily but mine hasn’t knock on wood!

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I used a vaportizer, not expensive at all.

Briannesmith1

Tucson
Yeah but since I work full time and are a full time student the Fogger helps me so I don’t have to spray as much

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I live in Arizona and never needed one . The key is a covered ( and dampened) enclosure , and daily soaking ! I did that for Speedy , he just turned 4 and no pyramiding yet ! :)
That’s one of the smoothest big Sulcatas I’ve seen. They all usually have a little something going on.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yeah but since I work full time and are a full time student the Fogger helps me so I don’t have to spray as much
I agree that a correctly set up closed chamber enclosure will require no fogger and no spraying. Just ad some water every 7 to 10 days.
I live in Florida. Outside it's humid!
But inside the house with the A/C cranking out 72 degrees, the inside humidity is about nothing.
My closed chamber maintains 87-96% at all times. And I do next to nothing to maintain it.
I have a hinged, plexiglass lid. A 5.0 18" strip florescent lamp mounted to the UNDERSIDE of the lid.
Soil over orchid bark substrate with water bowl and I pour a few ounces of water into the corners every week or two.
Like most keepers, I also tried misters, etc. And found that I was over complicating things.

Briannesmith1

Tucson
I agree that a correctly set up closed chamber enclosure will require no fogger and no spraying. Just ad some water every 7 to 10 days.
I live in Florida. Outside it's humid!
But inside the house with the A/C cranking out 72 degrees, the inside humidity is about nothing.
My closed chamber maintains 87-96% at all times. And I do next to nothing to maintain it.
I have a hinged, plexiglass lid. A 5.0 18" strip florescent lamp mounted to the UNDERSIDE of the lid.
Soil over orchid bark substrate with water bowl and I pour a few ounces of water into the corners every week or two.
Like most keepers, I also tried misters, etc. And found that I was over complicating things.

Yeah I agree 100% I run the Fogger like 2 times a week and still never drops below 84% with a proper set up

daniellenc

Maryland
I do hot water once a week around the corners and edges and am in the 90% range and then 80% by the end of the week. Foggers breed bacteria so keep that in mind. Blowing mold water is yuck! They’re a pain to clean and not needed in a closed chamber. I work 10 hour days and am a mom of two. Mist 1-2x a day and pour water around weekly.

Briannesmith1

Tucson
I do hot water once a week around the corners and edges and am in the 90% range and then 80% by the end of the week. Foggers breed bacteria so keep that in mind. Blowing mold water is yuck! They’re a pain to clean and not needed in a closed chamber. I work 10 hour days and am a mom of two. Mist 1-2x a day and pour water around weekly.

Yeah it’s temporary since I’m in an apartment and have no money at the moment. But it’s a great fix for humidity for people who are in the same boat. My little Sulcata is growing fine now [emoji16]

daniellenc

Maryland
D69325DC-0A8A-4152-B0BB-2CBE9E783617.jpeg
Yeah it’s temporary since I’m in an apartment and have no money at the moment. But it’s a great fix for humidity for people who are in the same boat. My little Sulcata is growing fine now [emoji16]

Not saying they’re bad just more work in a closed chamber. You need a timer, cleaning it, tweaking it. Maybe in an open top but even then less time would be spent closing it off. If you’re open top have you searched closed top options on the cheap? They exist.

I totally drilled through plastic!

Briannesmith1

Tucson
View attachment 239696

Not saying they’re bad just more work in a closed chamber. You need a timer, cleaning it, tweaking it. Maybe in an open top but even then less time would be spent closing it off. If you’re open top have you searched closed top options on the cheap? They exist.

I totally drilled through plastic!

Yes I am using a closed chamber. I have it covered with tinfoil which was a cheap recommendation from an expert on here. I don’t even have a drill at my house... I really can’t afford much at the moment until after summer [emoji4] my babies are doing just fine. Thanks. I would love to use the plastic but it’s also more of a fire hazard as well with my CHE [emoji24]

daniellenc

Maryland
Yes I am using a closed chamber. I have it covered with tinfoil which was a cheap recommendation from an expert on here. I don’t even have a drill at my house... I really can’t afford much at the moment until after summer [emoji4] my babies are doing just fine. Thanks. I would love to use the plastic but it’s also more of a fire hazard as well with my CHE [emoji24]

I made my neighbor help. I also don’t own a drill so he mounted my lighting. Tin foil is fine and no fire hazard. If you do the mister just remember the weekly cleaning. They get funktified fast.

Briannesmith1

Tucson
I made my neighbor help. I also don’t own a drill so he mounted my lighting. Tin foil is fine and no fire hazard. If you do the mister just remember the weekly cleaning. They get funktified fast.

awesome thanks! Do you happen to be in the Arizona area[emoji23] I could use that drill

daniellenc

Maryland
I wish I’m in Maryland with this humidity but I have great neighbors. Plane trip J/K just ask I have three neighbors I can bug for the small stuff. My technical ex is my neighbor and BF. Unfortunately he has stage 4 terminal cancer and he calls his friends for the manly tools to help.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
when we got 2 of ours as younger approx 5-6 months old they were already showing signs of pyramiding we upped the humidity and of course changed up the diet and their shells are nearly baby smooth now. i personally dislike the zoomed fogger ive had to many die on me (we use a number here at the rescue) i have switched to the "drop" one om amazon ill have to link it and i modified the top and love it so far its been rock solid and only 30$. we run it daily off a spyder robotics controller and clean once a week with vinegar and only use distilled water, not a hint of mold. we are using the planter beds with the included cover. it gives them 4x4ft to roam and they love it.

Wolfen

5 Year Member
Los Angeles

What do you do with hot water once a week?

daniellenc

Maryland
I just dump it around the perimeter of the enclosure which keeps humidity well above 85%. Right now it’s at 95%