Foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachmn

5 Year Member
So, I found the list of fruits, leaves, flowers and other plants that are safe for Red-foots. It's a great list but a lot of them are near impossible to get where I am at any reasonable cost anyways.
So, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to expand the list with what they personally feed their tortoises. Or at least where I can find a list of more common food items?

llamas55

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northfield, MN
You can get imaginitive following turtletoary.com menu (and check the many posts here on food) by using, if you are up north like me, sugarLESS frozen berries/melon/veggies and mixed salad greens in the winter. I also get "compost" from the organic food store kitchen here, which is often whole fruits/veggies in fine shape ad organic for free. In fact, my tort eats better than I do, low and healthy on the food chain. Good luck.

sachmn

5 Year Member
Yea, I'm up north as well. I hadn't thought about frozen foods, that's a good idea.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
llamas55 said:
You can get imaginitive following turtletoary.com menu (and check the many posts here on food) by using, if you are up north like me, sugarLESS frozen berries/melon/veggies and mixed salad greens in the winter. I also get "compost" from the organic food store kitchen here, which is often whole fruits/veggies in fine shape ad organic for free. In fact, my tort eats better than I do, low and healthy on the food chain. Good luck.
sorry about the website typo
I meant
http://www.turtletary.com/
http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm
http://www.redfoottortoisebreeder.com/
http://www.turtletary.com/hingeback.htm

sachmn

5 Year Member
So are mushrooms okay? Do they contain much nutritional value?

So far I've been feeding Spring Mix, shredded carrot, collard greens, pineapple, strawberry, apple and a little banana. I want to diversify as much as possible and since my girlfriend is mostly vegetarian and wants to start gardening this summber so the more we can grow the better.

sachmn

5 Year Member
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Could you post this list, please?

I think you had posted the list that I found...on page 5 or 6 of the yellowfoot/redfoot forum.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Oh haha yeah some of those are quite rare. I've found a lot of their common names since that though (and maybe added a few), if you are interested in me posting the updated version? Many of the items on the list are really requiring more of a zoo/greenhouse environment. My list really wasn't directed at being a normal list of plants safe for all torts, but of ones that are more "natural" to the flora of the redfoot's place of origin.

sachmn

5 Year Member
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Oh haha yeah some of those are quite rare. I've found a lot of their common names since that though (and maybe added a few), if you are interested in me posting the updated version? Many of the items on the list are really requiring more of a zoo/greenhouse environment. My list really wasn't directed at being a normal list of plants safe for all torts, but of ones that are more "natural" to the flora of the redfoot's place of origin.

Gotcha. Yea, well I'd still be interested in the updated list...as information if nothing else.

sachmn

5 Year Member

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
sachmn said:
So are mushrooms okay? Do they contain much nutritional value?

So far I've been feeding Spring Mix, shredded carrot, collard greens, pineapple, strawberry, apple and a little banana. I want to diversify as much as possible and since my girlfriend is mostly vegetarian and wants to start gardening this summber so the more we can grow the better.

banana rarely, a dab every 3 wks as a variety is plenty?

sachmn

5 Year Member
I've only given it to him once in the 2-3 weeks I've had him.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
This is my indoor/winter diet list. I based it in Terry's list and then added other stuff based on my readings and study.

GROCERY STORE STUFF-
GREENS: Collard, turnip, and dandelion
BRASSICAS: Cabbage, kale, bok choy (I know this bugs a lot of people, but they are low in bad oxaltes, have great calcium/phosphorous ratios, etc. They are historically considered to contribute to goiter in tortoises because they are low in iodine, etc. but this is really not a problem if they are part of a varied diet.)
LETTUCES: Endive, escarole, arugula, rugula. I often use mixed bagged lettuce if it is on sale or clearance, but since they are usually low in calcium, I add a big pinch to the bag and shake it in.
OTHER LEAVES: Cactus pads, although not all of mine like them. Watercress, Spinach (which a lot of people will say is too high in oxalates. I don't worry about this as long as my tortoises are well hydrated and getting good calcium in other foods. Besides, the listed oxylic acid content of spinach varies widely by who makes the list.) Grape, mulberry, and fig leaves are sometimes available, especially in ethnic markets.
AVOID: Parsley, beet greens, lambs quarters, rhubarb, Swiss chard, and alfalfa- they are all high in oxalates (higher than even I am comfy with). Keep Iceberg and Romaine lettuces to a minimum, and don't use a lot of greenleaf or redleaf lettuces either.

FRUITS: I define fruit the scientific way- edible plant material with seeds in it. I divide fruit into really good, good, and 'eh' categories.
- Really good- papaya, fig, cactus fruit, strawberries, pineapple
- Good- tropical fruits other than banana, melons, squash, bell pepper
- 'Eh'- I don't use these often, if at all since there are better choices, but occasionally toss them in for variety. Bananas, apples, pears, other berries, etc.
AVOID legumes (peas, beans), hot peppers and most citrus, although an occasional naval orange is good for calcium, vitamin C, etc.

VEGETABLES: I don't use a lot of this- mostly as 'filler' when I use my local store's salad bar: shredded carrot, celery, and mushrooms- I try to offer the freshest and most whole mushrooms I can every week or two. They are favorite food items and high in vitamin D2 (not as good as D3, but possibly very helpful to forest species.

MEATS: I prefer whole, live 'meat' when possible- worms, caterpillars. bugs, pinkies or other young mice or rats, etc. but that is not always possible or desirable. I also use cooked chicken strips, organ meat, oily fish (small amounts), eggs (small amounts, usually with some shell), and low-fat cat kibble, etc.

DRIED, FROZEN, CANNED, ETC: I find that most of this stuff has additives I am not wanting, or is more expensive per unit, but...
- frozen veggies and fruits, frozen cooked chicken bits
- canned mixed veggies, fruit in its own juice or water (especially pineapple), canned low-fat dog or cat food (rarely)
- organic baby food, many kinds
- dried fruits, mushrooms, veggies, and even homemade or no additive jerky

NON-GROCERY STORE STUFF-
I occasionally use Mazuri Tortoise Diet. I also use some sorts of dried hays (other than alfalfa)- either cut up rabbit hay, or ground up hay cubes and pellets like those for horses. This is added to my greens for nutrients and fiber.

SCHEDULE-
I don't follow a tight schedule, but in general:
- 1-2 days a week of fasting or very light/low nutrient meals
- Greens or lettuces most days
- Fruit 1-2 times a week- usually bell peppers, squash, figs, papaya, mango, pineapple, etc.- the not so sweet stuff
- Every 1-2 weeks, they get something special- sweet fruits, meat, etc. in small servings

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Excuse me folks.. please?

36_12_1.gif
why do you guys make this so complex and difficult? You now have threads that talk about how difficult it is to find.. what you say a redfoot tortoise can ( and they think should ) eat!

I have a 'diet' also.. on the redfootcare page below - I even show the results of following it.

You choose...

Terry K

sachmn

5 Year Member
I'm not trying to make it difficult, just trying to get a variety...and some of that variety is, in fact, hard to get a hold of in the winter, in the north, or at all.
I've been following your diet and it's been "working" as far as I can tell so far (which means he's been eating, at least). I don't have any complaints and it seems great and like it has worked for you for a long time. I just want some variety and to know what I CAN feed if I FEEL like it. That really doesn't seem to me to be "wrong" or making it "difficult"...but they'd find a variety in the wild so I'd like to feed a variety.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I don't find it is complex and difficult, I find it very rewarding to know I am doing the most and best I can for my tortoises. Plus there is the simple pleasure of seeing them eating some new item I have found for them. It's kinda like fixing a meal for somebody you care about and seeing them enjoy and appreciate it.

I guess a part of it too, is I can't come close to duplicating the life they would have in the wild in terms especially of the vast roaming area, but perhaps by offering them as wide of a variety of food items, I can give them a little of the freedom of choice and variety they might have been able to experience in the wild. Not the exact same foods, but at least a choice.

Then there is the simple fact, nobody knows exactly what their needs are. I think with more variety, you can get more of those little trace items that may be needed. Also more textures and amounts of roughage.

To me it's sorta like I can keep this animal in an 4' by 8' plain cage with just a box hide and a shallow water dish, but why not. if I have the ability, provide it with a 12' by 36' foot environment with living plants, a variety of hides, varing amounts of sunlight/dappled shade areas, a wading pool, ect.., instead?

To me the most I can give my tortoises, is the least I can do. Then again, that's just me, others are happy doing the least. To each their own. :cool:

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Jacqui said:
I don't find it is complex and difficult, I find it very rewarding to know I am doing the most and best I can for my tortoises.

Then there is the simple fact, nobody knows exactly what their needs are. I think with more variety, you can get more of those little trace items that may be needed. Also more textures and amounts of roughage.

To me the most I can give my tortoises, is the least I can do. Then again, that's just me, others are happy doing the least. To each their own. :cool:

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.