Forest Hingeback Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
I just got a Forest Hingeback for my birthday! Courtesy of my girlfriend :) I just had some questions as far as the set-up. I understand they are from tropical African forests. So i'm assuming that means high humidity and temp. He/she (I'll post pictures so you can help me sex) is currently in a utility bin, open top. So i'm not sure if the humidity is going to be high enough. I was thinking of doing the same thing I have my redfoot in, a plastic bin with a plywood cover to retain humidity. But I am not totally sure what it needs, and input would be grand! Thanks :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
A redfoot type setup is ideal for this guys. High temperature is ideally mid seventies but can go higher for short periods and ideal low is mid 60's. They like substrat to dig in and a hide. They are more carnivorous then even a redfoot, like mushrooms and soft fruit, and try to get it eating greens (they will eventually) and also give them a soaking/wading bowl. Post pictures when you get chance.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes Forest hingebacks like it humid, but not hot. They like the temperatures during the day to be in the mid 80's. I'd go with more of a plexiglass cover for the tub. They don't like bright light but do like some light, so the plexiglass will let in plenty of room light. The same would go for the Redfoot.

Danny

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
yea i've got a dim light and a heat emitter in my redfoot's cage, lighting is pretty low, so he cruises around a lot. Ok so i'm going to need heat to escape more, you said more carnivorous, does that mean some cat food occasionally would be ok?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I don't feed cat food at all - too many fillers. Earthworms, slugs, fish canned in water, mealworms, etc. are more along the lines of what I would feed.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
ok cool, how about crickets? and could someone maybe post a couple pictures of their setups for ideas? And does anyone know a good proven caresheet?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Crickets are good if you gutload them and the enclosure is tight. I suggest earthworms and if you can find them canned snails. Sowbugs (roly polies) are also could if you a plce to collect then. Some also feed them fish (not golds). There are no caresheets that I'm aware of.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
ok, and i'm assuming they don't require a basking spot or UVB if they don't need much lighting, So what should they're diet consist of outside of meat? It's gonna be made up of mostly leafy greens correct? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure i get the set-up right quickly so I can set him up and leave him alone.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Many won't touch leafy greens for some time. Mine like anything brightly colored - flower petals, red colored greens, grated sweet potato, cactus fruits, strawberries, raspberries, butternut squash, summer squash, zucchini, and of course - PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS. In the wild most of the fiber content of a Hingeback's diet come from mushrooms, rather than weeds or grasses like grassland or Mediterranean tortoises.

Mine get a diet of about 40% greens and veggies, 40% mushrooms, 10% fruit and 10% insects/protein/meat. I base that ratio on studies done on the stomach contents of wild Hingebacks.

Not knowing your exact climate, I would suggest having a basking spot of around 80, but make sure there is plenty of room for the tortoise to move away from it. If you use UV lighting, stick with a 2.0 tube bulb, on the same end of the enclosure as the basking light. For a basking light I use a regular 60 watt black light bulb, $7 for two of them at Walmart. They do NOT like bright light, period.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
yea mine hasn't touched greens at all, guess ill try some mushrooms! Sounds like that is the staple of their diet. Any other types of mushrooms that are acceptable?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Oh yes, anything that you can find in the grocery store. Mine have had regular white and brown, shitaki, oyster, and a few others, but portabellas are their favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.