Fruit

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa
Hello everyone! I hope that you are all doing well. I just want to find out, will it be okay if I give my leopard tortoise, Rosie, a little bit of fruit once a week?
Will this be too often? Should I rather do it once every two weeks? Once a month? Or is it not a good idea at all?

I have read that tomatoes, banana, grapes, strawberries, apples, papayas, watermelon, raspberries, and mangos are safe to give them. Are any of these unsafe? Or will they be okay?

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone! I hope that you are all doing well. I just want to find out, will it be okay if I give my leopard tortoise, Rosie, a little bit of fruit once a week?
Will this be too often? Should I rather do it once every two weeks? Once a month? Or is it not a good idea at all?

I have read that tomatoes, banana, grapes, strawberries, apples, papayas, watermelon, raspberries, and mangos are safe to give them. Are any of these unsafe? Or will they be okay?

Thanks
Their digestive tracts are not meant to handle the sugars in fruit. It can cause intestinal blooms and wreak havoc. Best to skip it entirely. Feed them loads of grass, weeds, succulents and flowers of the right types. Think about it... If fruit is so bad that we can only give it once a week or once a month, why give it at all?

South Africa
Their digestive tracts are not meant to handle the sugars in fruit. It can cause intestinal blooms and wreak havoc. Best to skip it entirely. Feed them loads of grass, weeds, succulents and flowers of the right types. Think about it... If fruit is so bad that we can only give it once a week or once a month, why give it at all?
Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it. I am grateful for this forum, it is helping so much. I will avoid fruit entirely.

lyingcat8

Indianapolis
@Tom I am curious - Is that true of all tortoises?