Glass and stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas Oregon
Thank you for all your replys. I have always believed that any animal needs room for exercise and an environment that stimulates them so they are not bored. All this can be done with glass not just wood and plastic. It just bothers me that newbies get into the hobbie to enjoy their new pets and well meaning people tell them they need to keep them in a habitat were they can't even view them. I respect all of you and i'm glad I found this website. jack

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dolfanjack said:
Thank you for all your replys. I have always believed that any animal needs room for exercise and an environment that stimulates them so they are not bored. All this can be done with glass not just wood and plastic. It just bothers me that newbies get into the hobbie to enjoy their new pets and well meaning people tell them they need to keep them in a habitat were they can't even view them. I respect all of you and i'm glad I found this website. jack

:cool:

firework

5 Year Member
In my opinion, the turtle can tell the other side of the glass is not water, it will not try to swim through that glass.

Tortoise might be different because it walks.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
The only experience that I have with glass is when I got Dale and kept him in a 40 gallon aquarium. He rubbed his nose raw on the glass, that's all. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Candy said:
The only experience that I have with glass is when I got Dale and kept him in a 40 gallon aquarium. He rubbed his nose raw on the glass, that's all. :(

I've had a few nervous lizards start to do that, but a simple visual barrier stopped it instantly. I use tape and a brown paper bag cut to size. None of my turtles and torts ever did that.

Did you try the visual barrier with Dale, or did you just move him to a different enclosure?

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I was at Petco today and I watched a mom and her son laugh at a russian that was trying to walk through the glass. It just kept walking forward and forward into the glass and he was the only one of the 4 in there that was having any troubles. Poor guys were probably all wild caught, so just being wild caught doesn't necessarily mean they'll struggle with glass. The tank actually had a good sized footprint so he had room to go somewhere else, but he just really wanted through to the other side enclosure.

Oh, and the lady was a jerk. Laughing at a poor confused animal like that. What kind of example is that to set for her son?

Status
Not open for further replies.