Glass, Closed cons?

Adam L

Location (City and/or State)
FL
I cannot think of any disadvantages to the closed chamber, it’s perfect… but how can I visually enjoy him and his habitat I lovingly created. I know tortoises aren’t pick-up-and-handle-any-time pets, I treat him like the coolest most spoiled garden gnome ever. My conditions for him are perfect when humidity and temps and lights but now that he isn’t struggling with glass, it’s difficult to be able to monitor him clear as day like I used to and have closure visually he’s okay. Should I set aside my human wants of being able to see him and keep him in the Rubbermaid? I know it’s best for him but could a viewing port be added without stressing him?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I cannot think of any disadvantages to the closed chamber, it’s perfect… but how can I visually enjoy him and his habitat I lovingly created. I know tortoises aren’t pick-up-and-handle-any-time pets, I treat him like the coolest most spoiled garden gnome ever. My conditions for him are perfect when humidity and temps and lights but now that he isn’t struggling with glass, it’s difficult to be able to monitor him clear as day like I used to and have closure visually he’s okay. Should I set aside my human wants of being able to see him and keep him in the Rubbermaid? I know it’s best for him but could a viewing port be added without stressing him?
You can probably add a viewing window safely to your setup if you keep it high enough off the substrate that the tortoise cannot see out of it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A view window as Zovick mentioned will work. Plexiglass or real glass. Just be sure to seal it into the tote.

Adam L

FL
A view window as Zovick mentioned will work. Plexiglass or real glass. Just be sure to seal it into the tote.
Thanks I’ll look into that! Would a greenhouse be a bad idea if sealed properly? They’re much larger than a tote I’d think and they’re not too expensive compared to big box enclosure companies that I’d have to upgrade later

Adam L

FL
I put cameras in my enclosures.
I have that for when I’m not at home but I love to be able to physically see him while doing my own thing around the house for my anxiety lol. I appreciate the quick answer!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks I’ll look into that! Would a greenhouse be a bad idea if sealed properly? They’re much larger than a tote I’d think and they’re not too expensive compared to big box enclosure companies that I’d have to upgrade later
They are great. I have recommended them for years and used myself.
The one in the pic works good. Not too high, comes in many lengths and all heat and lights can hang from the frame. Just need to buy a tarp to use as the floor 1000001352.png

Adam L

FL
They are great. I have recommended them for years and used myself.
The one in the pic works good. Not too high, comes in many lengths and all heat and lights can hang from the frame. Just need to buy a tarp to use as the floor View attachment 377814
You are a godsend my friend! I think I have my answer now. No pvc for me. Ooh that rhymes 🧐🤔