Grouchy man emerging for breakfast.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Why was I summoned from my slumber?
Indeed, it most indisputably appears that in fact, you were, and might I venture to further elucidate upon that revelation by suggesting that you might possibly feel rather flattered by such a bold and innovative intrusion upon your somnolence.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you. I am unfamiliar with what varieties of crushed oyster shell that you have access to in America, but I would assume that your selection is superior to what I have where I currently live. Flat oyster shell would have been preferable, but I've never seen it available. I'll explore your link later for a better frame of reference.
Here in the states crushed oyster shell is sold in feed stores for chickens. Have you tried to find it in a feed store?

I asked my friend, Google, if one can buy CRUSHED oyster shell in Canada and what came back online was Amazon, Canada, and the product they sell is what you already have, what looks like little rocks. So I'm thinking it may not be available up there.

Last edited:

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I haven't been able to buy Crushed oyster shell for more than a year (I have chickens). The only thing that has been available is Crushed Coral/oyster shell (Emphasis on crushed coral)

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Why was I summoned from my slumber?

Zeropilot…
You big hunk O’ man!!!!!
Could you please go back to the beginning of this thread and add yer peace boy!
We need a little taming of the
Vermisious knidds in here…
Oh… I mean a welcoming squad!
😉🥰

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Indeed, it most indisputably appears that in fact, you were, and might I venture to further elucidate upon that revelation by suggesting that you might possibly feel rather flattered by such a bold and innovative intrusion upon your somnolence.

It’s too early for me for those words!!!!
Try me on a Tuesday. 😟🤕

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Actually, I would like to contribute meaningfully to this thread by asking a question that had been lurking in the murky recesses of my brain from the early phases: what is it with Egyptian tortoises and oyster shells? Why this substrate for just this species?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Here in the states crushed oyster shell is sold in feed stores for chickens. Have you tried to find it in a feed store?

I asked my friend, Google, if one can buy CRUSHED oyster shell in Canada and what came back online was Amazon, Canada, and the product they sell is what you already have, what looks like little rocks. So I'm thinking it may not be available up there.
Actually, I would like to contribute meaningfully to this thread by asking a question that had been lurking in the murky recesses of my brain from the early phases: what is it with Egyptian tortoises and oyster shells? Why this substrate for just this species?

🤷‍♀️…

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I have a feeling you are not going to get an answer to that question, Tammy.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

It was used initially to try to mimic what was believed to be their natural habitat. And since then, inertia. They're rarer, more expensive tortoises so fewer people with experience with them, or willing to stray from 'what works.'

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It was used initially to try to mimic what was believed to be their natural habitat. And since then, inertia. They're rarer, more expensive tortoises so fewer people with experience with them, or willing to stray from 'what works.'
Thank you! I totally understand this now. So I can also understand why people insist that, for example, Sulcata tortoises should be kept on sand, being "desert" tortoises!? So the case for Egyptian tortoises to be kept on oyster shell in either crushed or "rocks" form, is based on flawed "tradition"!?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've always wondered that too.

Cowgirl

Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, California
Thank you! I totally understand this now. So I can also understand why people insist that, for example, Sulcata tortoises should be kept on sand, being "desert" tortoises!? So the case for Egyptian tortoises to be kept on oyster shell in either crushed or "rocks" form, is based on flawed "tradition"!?
I am not an expert by any means but what I understand from all of my research is that many very long time successful keepers and breeders of Egyptian tortoises keep them on crushed oyster shell. Many of us who are new keepers are learning from and replicating their success. I haven’t heard of any long term successful keepers keeping them on orchid bark while I know that is used very successfully for many other tortoises. I hope we hear from some of the long term Egyptian keepers in this thread.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I am not an expert by any means but what I understand from all of my research is that many very long time successful keepers and breeders of Egyptian tortoises keep them on crushed oyster shell. Many of us who are new keepers are learning from and replicating their success. I haven’t heard of any long term successful keepers keeping them on orchid bark while I know that is used very successfully for many other tortoises. I hope we hear from some of the long term Egyptian keepers in this thread.
I personally kept Egyptian Tortoises from about 1993 to 2000 or so when I lived in CT. John Coakley (whom I believe to be the first person to breed the species in the US) also lived in CT then, and I visited him to gain knowledge prior to deciding to keep Egyptians. His kleinmanni were all kept on crushed oyster shells and were also in closed chambers.

John lived on the coast of CT where humidity can be quite high, and the reason for both the closed chambers and the oyster shells was to REDUCE the humidity in the tortoises' enclosures. It was thought back then that Egyptian Tortoises did not do well in humid environments, so the closed chambers were devised to keep out the humid coastal air, and the oyster shells were used as a substrate because they were said to actually absorb moisture from the air. Additionally, they are digestible if eaten by a tortoise either purposely or accidentally.

Seeing the success John was having, I went home determined to set my Egyptian Tortoises up in exactly the same way. So John Coakley may well be the source of the idea of crushed oyster shells as a substrate for Egyptian Tortoises, because John produced a lot of babies (from the 1980's to the present) and passed on his techniques to many people.