Grouchy man emerging for breakfast.

CanadaTorter

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada.
Those stones can be very dangerous for your little guy. It will cause impaction if he eats them. Stones should only be used if they are too large for the tortoise to eat/swallow.
You are incorrect, and those “stones” are oyster shell - a substrate medium that is quite common for Egyptian tortoises.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
That is correct, yes; the little grouchy man here is an Egyptian. They aren't too uncommon where I am - just expensive. He's wonderful.
I can't even purchase one here in Ohio. Illegal to buy / trade / rehome across state lines. I know of no one here that owns one let alone breeds them. I'd mortgage my house to get my hands on one. lol

zovick

10 Year Member!
You are incorrect, and those “stones” are oyster shell - a substrate medium that is quite common for Egyptian tortoises.
Nice tortoise.

Your oyster shell substrate doesn't appear to be the "crushed oyster shell" which is/was available here in the US and which I used for my Egyptian Tortoises when I kept them from 1993 to 2000 or so.

The pieces in mine were more flattened (like flakes of Corn Flakes cereal) and yours look more round than flat. Is it processed differently in Canada? Just curious why it looks different.

Here is a link to what I am used to seeing as crushed oyster shell:

Last edited:

CanadaTorter

Ontario, Canada.
Actually I am correct about stones. Didn't know they were oyster shell, excuse me!
Obviously you're correct about ingesting stones leading to impaction. It is quite clear, however, that that is not what I was referring to. Please ask about my substrate next time before making assumptions if you require clarification. Thanks.

CanadaTorter

Ontario, Canada.
Nice tortoise.

Your oyster shell substrate doesn't appear to be the "crushed oyster shell" which is/was available here in the US and which I used for my Egyptian Tortoises when I kept them from 1993 to 2000 or so.

The pieces in mine were more flattened (like flakes of Corn Flakes cereal) and yours look more round than flat. Is it processed differently in Canada? Just curious why it looks different.

Here is a link to what I am used to seeing as crushed oyster shell:

Thank you. I am unfamiliar with what varieties of crushed oyster shell that you have access to in America, but I would assume that your selection is superior to what I have where I currently live. Flat oyster shell would have been preferable, but I've never seen it available. I'll explore your link later for a better frame of reference.

CanadaTorter

Ontario, Canada.
I can't even purchase one here in Ohio. Illegal to buy / trade / rehome across state lines. I know of no one here that owns one let alone breeds them. I'd mortgage my house to get my hands on one. lol
I'm very sorry to hear that. American states seem more akin to individual countries relative to our provincial system here in Canada, and as such I am unfamiliar with most of the laws and legislature to which you and yours are bound. I hope that you manage to find a local CB seller, however, and that you are able to procure a little guy or gal one day.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Obviously you're correct about ingesting stones leading to impaction. It is quite clear, however, that that is not what I was referring to. Please ask about my substrate next time before making assumptions if you require clarification. Thanks.
Wellington's warning about what definitely looks exactly like stones to me too and just about anyone here, was perfectly natural for someone like her - a very much liked, knowledgeable, caring and respected long time member and moderator here. No need to be snippy. Lovely little turtle.

CanadaTorter

Ontario, Canada.
Wellington's warning about what definitely looks exactly like stones to me too and just about anyone here, was perfectly natural for someone like her - a very much liked, knowledgeable, caring and respected long time member and moderator here. No need to be snippy. Lovely little turtle.
Good evening Tammy. I did not find Wellington’s response to be either knowledgeable or endearing, so I suppose that they should be thankful to have you here to extoll their alleged virtues. However, I do feel that you both need to work on your delivery, and for you to remark on my "snippy" response is wholly inappropriate given the context of my reply. For starters, please note that I posted my pictures under the Egyptian tortoise sub-forum; given that this is an uncommon animal, I expect commenters seeking to disseminate advice to do so competently. In case this needs clarifying, I consider the ability to recognize animal-specific substrate as being minimally competent in this context. The fact that neither of you are able to recognize oyster shell is not my problem, but it becomes my problem when two people with enormous post volumes come about loudly proclaiming their visual impairments. I can’t speak as to how you were raised or educated, but where I’m from people typically ask questions if they require clarification about something – it would be considered quite rude to start throwing out baseless assumptions, and I don’t consider my response to Wellington to be the least bit "snippy" given the insulting nature of their reply. Yes, I am aware that the ingestion of stones can lead to impaction – to suggest that I am ignorant of this facet of basic reptile husbandry implies that I am ignorant of more complex aspects of care, and therefore implies that the care I provide is inadequate or harmful. How would you expect me to reply? Distributing banal ‘advice’ such as what Wellington gave me is unnecessary, unneeded, and I consider it insulting. This could have been easily remedied by simply asking what substrate I used, but that would have clearly taken up too much time. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to passive-aggressively compliment my animal after calling me snippy, though.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good evening Tammy. I did not find Wellington’s response to be either knowledgeable or endearing, so I suppose that they should be thankful to have you here to extoll their alleged virtues. However, I do feel that you both need to work on your delivery, and for you to remark on my "snippy" response is wholly inappropriate given the context of my reply. For starters, please note that I posted my pictures under the Egyptian tortoise sub-forum; given that this is an uncommon animal, I expect commenters seeking to disseminate advice to do so competently. In case this needs clarifying, I consider the ability to recognize animal-specific substrate as being minimally competent in this context. The fact that neither of you are able to recognize oyster shell is not my problem, but it becomes my problem when two people with enormous post volumes come about loudly proclaiming their visual impairments. I can’t speak as to how you were raised or educated, but where I’m from people typically ask questions if they require clarification about something – it would be considered quite rude to start throwing out baseless assumptions, and I don’t consider my response to Wellington to be the least bit "snippy" given the insulting nature of their reply. Yes, I am aware that the ingestion of stones can lead to impaction – to suggest that I am ignorant of this facet of basic reptile husbandry implies that I am ignorant of more complex aspects of care, and therefore implies that the care I provide is inadequate or harmful. How would you expect me to reply? Distributing banal ‘advice’ such as what Wellington gave me is unnecessary, unneeded, and I consider it insulting. This could have been easily remedied by simply asking what substrate I used, but that would have clearly taken up too much time. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to passive-aggressively compliment my animal after calling me snippy, though.
Ok! You are not snippy, then. Just verbose. And I really do like your little tortoise 😍.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
That is correct, yes; the little grouchy man here is an Egyptian. They aren't too uncommon where I am - just expensive. He's wonderful.

Haha…. Pictures please.
otherwise…. He’s/she’s a Sulcata to me.
I know THAT face anywhere!
Let’s just test your expertise….boo boo.😘😏

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica