Growth rate?

Sam1993

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Just a question... [emoji16]
I compared my 2 year old sulcata with different two year old sulcatas on the web and mainly on YouTube I think my sulcata is way smaller than the "average " is this normal ?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Tortoises all grow at different rates. As long as yours is gaining weight, there is nothing to worry about.

I have 2 baby Russians from the same clutch, hatched on the same day, and this morning one weighed 63 grams while the other one is 33 grams. They have had separate enclosures since they were 2 months old (due to bullying). One is just growing faster than the other.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just a question... [emoji16]
I compared my 2 year old sulcata with different two year old sulcatas on the web and mainly on YouTube I think my sulcata is way smaller than the "average " is this normal ?
Totally normal. They grow at wildly different rates and for a wide variety of reasons. I recommend to people: Don't worry about whether the growth is fast or slow, just make sure it is healthy growth. Offer good temperatures and humidity, keep hydration up, feed the right foods, get them outside in the sunshine when you can, and don't worry too much about how fast they are growing.

Here are the "right" foods: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Most sulcatas are started too dry. Many of them don't survive. The ones that do survive typically grow much slower than one started well hydrated. Using a warm humid closed chamber and soaking daily will usually make them grow faster. Leaving them outside all day, regardless of weather and climate, slows them way down. Feeding mostly grass with some weeds and leaves mixed in will grow them slower than a diet with daily Mazuri.