Gupta his morning meal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I just thought these pictures of Gupta were funny because he decided that he needed to crawl in and all around the red leaf lettuce and collard green meal lol

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

IMG_5595.jpg

Poor Pipa and Asha are on the side lines just like why didn't I think of that :D

I also went a little crazy buying decorations for my tortoise cages and this is now what their cage looks like lol
IMG_5586.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Well don'tcha know, the bestest greens ever are always on the top of the pile or being eaten by the other guy. :D Fancy digs!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Well don'tcha know, the bestest greens ever are always on the top of the pile or being eaten by the other guy. :D Fancy digs!

haha that is probably why he is always to the top of the greens first :D

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Cute...Levi always climbs to the middle and eats to the edge instead of the other way round as well.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
Cute...Levi always climbs to the middle and eats to the edge instead of the other way round as well.

That bothers me so much for some reason when they do that! I use to move them and thought maybe I could teach them to eat from outside to the middle but noooooooo

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
BrinnANDGupta said:
ShadowRancher said:

That bothers me so much for some reason when they do that! I use to move them and thought maybe I could teach them to eat from outside to the middle but noooooooo

Haha nope, I only move him when he comes out the otherside and forgets to turn around for the rest :p

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
BrinnANDGupta said:
ShadowRancher said:

Haha nope, I only move him when he comes out the otherside and forgets to turn around for the rest :p

Haha now thats funny , poor little guy is like my Shar Pei who can never seem to find her tennis ball unless its right in front of her face

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRock eats from the outside to the middel, but not before hbe walks over the pile , makes a U-turn then eats from the otherside....SOooooo funny! :)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
WalkingRock eats from the outside to the middel, but not before hbe walks over the pile , makes a U-turn then eats from the otherside....SOooooo funny! :)

maybe that is their way of sizing up how much food you really gave them :D

Brittany6

5 Year Member
Aww so cute!!!! So is your encloser all open or is there glass or something over the front? I love it!!

Also how many torts do you have? I would like two but Tom says three or more is better and then I got worried haha!! How do they get along and how old are they?

Oh and what kind lettus us that? I have spring mix but perhaps I should try different greens

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Brittany6 said:
Aww so cute!!!! So is your encloser all open or is there glass or something over the front? I love it!!

Also how many torts do you have? I would like two but Tom says three or more is better and then I got worried haha!! How do they get along and how old are they?

Oh and what kind lettus us that? I have spring mix but perhaps I should try different greens

No its got plexiglass over the front hole that I cut, I use it as a door. I never have "open" enclosures because all it does is let out the moisture and heat. :)
You use waterproof velcro to attach the plexiglass or frame up the hole with 1x2x8 furring strips and 1/2" screws and then frame up the plexiglass using silicone and screw the hinges into the wood cause screwing through plexiglass without it cracking is hard. And the wood frames make it more sealed , I am doing that today I will post pictures when I get it done.
I have three Sullies in the bottom enclosure.
IMG_5610.jpg

Gupta, Asha, and Pipa. They get along really good, see?
IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5605.jpg

I find them like that a lot.
In the top enclosure I have just one little redfoot named Rose
IMG_5488.jpg

Then I have two more of these enclosures in the kitchen
IMG_5611.jpg

The top one is what my Greeks live in , I have three Ibera Greeks that get along great too
IMG_5532.jpg

The bottom one is for Colette my Leopard tortoise
IMG_5506.jpg

I drill holes in the top of the lid and use zip ties pulled tight, tight to hang the lights and then I just stack the other one on top and do the same thing.
i use timers for all the lights but the Ceramic Heat emitters that stay on 24/7

If you wanted to use mercury vapor bulbs in these enclosures it would be hard because they are too short to mount them inside the enclosure, the 100 watt bulbs need to be at least 12 inches from the substrate. You would have to cut an exact hole in the lid that is just a little smaller than light fixture and set it on top of the hole. Then you wouldn't be open to stack them
You can use the long UVB fluorescent tubes inside the enclosures , ReptiSun 10.0 either 18 inch or 24 inch put into one of these
0075527770202_500X500.jpg

that you can just get from walmart
I just use more zip ties to secure them to the top

Also I try to geed them a huge variety of things , I feed red lettuce, green lettuce, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, boc choy or however you spell it lol , cabbage, some carrots, some pumpkin, weeds and grasses that I ripped up from my yard.
Some bell peppers, squash, zucchini
I would read this thread about how to properly feed a variety of things so you just aren't wasting a bunch of food
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ises-The-Balanced-Diet-Revealed#axzz1ksCkV5Jf

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
So you decided on colette? I like it! Love all the enclosures too...you are so much quicker than me, I was going to get the mods done this weekend but Jeremy forgot to bring me the tools when he came into town! ...guess I'll have to get them myself

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
So you decided on colette? I like it! Love all the enclosures too...you are so much quicker than me, I was going to get the mods done this weekend but Jeremy forgot to bring me the tools when he came into town! ...guess I'll have to get them myself

Tortoises are my only hobby so I am always doing something with them and their enclosures lol

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yea for Some Reason I see Lots oF Sulcata's That Love To a Sit On Top Of Their Food and Grub!

Status
Not open for further replies.