Hanging UV tube light from greenhouse frame

Henry’s mom

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Hi. I tried to find an existing thread but couldn’t this specific.

I’m trying to hang my T5 tube light from the greenhouse frame and the fixture seems it can only either lay across a top or be mounted. I can’t do either and was hoping to hang it from the bar using zip ties I got. I saw a couple wrapped wire around the whole fixture and hung it but if I wrap them around the entire fixture wouldn’t they melt or have potential to slide out of either end?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Zip ties really work well & I’m pretty sure you don’t need to worry about the heat from your light. How hot is that light? Ive really never felt a hot tube light….

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those lights don't really get hot enough to melt them.
I used rope when I had mine in a green house. I tied the rope to loop each end. As long as you are careful when you are around it, it shouldn't slide out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You could also use bungee cords. Hook the hook on one side, over the support and then the other side. One bungee for each end. Bungee, zip tie, rope all will work.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Can you post a picture of the fixture? Most have holes for suspending with chain.

I would not use zip ties against a bulb, metal zip ties are the only type I'd use to hold up a light and even then not against the bulb. Plastic doesn't hold up to that kind of heat for long, the zip ties would get brittle and break eventually.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All the fixtures I've ever had have holes or other things to attach chain or hanging wire to. Can we see a picture of your light?

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
Zip ties really work well & I’m pretty sure you don’t need to worry about the heat from your light. How hot is that light? Ive really never felt a hot tube light….
Oh I thought I read on here that the uv light also produces some heat. If not that’s great. I haven’t been able to hang it yet to know the temp lol. ;)
I also read that the basically the uv should be in the middle, then the basking in the middle of that, then the CHE in the middle too! This is combined info so trying to figure out the best way to align them and not sure I can use more than the one straight middle bar.

Oh! I just saw there have been more comments! Lol Bugee cords are also a good idea. I’m just hoping to use something I have with the zip ties if ok.
My fixture doesn’t have hooks or loops. It has two little divots on top but not really holes. It has fasteners to attach under a wood or screen top.

Here’s a pics. I added one of the parts that came with it and of the greenhouse frame I’m trying to hang everything from.

Edit: The fasteners/pieces provided for an under mount have a clip to snap the fixture into. I thought about running a tiny zip tie between the clip and fixture then another perpendicular that would loop through and over the bar. Just not sure if the clip would be compromised where the fixture could fall.

Attachments

• 9E71C20F-28FC-4C4A-9F10-178B727E135E.jpeg
    9E71C20F-28FC-4C4A-9F10-178B727E135E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • 62377202-3C84-4AD9-8C93-40C7CA36ED78.jpeg
    62377202-3C84-4AD9-8C93-40C7CA36ED78.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 7A489494-7F62-4272-A508-EAD517AE8007.jpeg
    7A489494-7F62-4272-A508-EAD517AE8007.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • E47CFD51-D35D-4E74-BE36-3ACA3D84F741.jpeg
    E47CFD51-D35D-4E74-BE36-3ACA3D84F741.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • DDA535C5-21DF-4F0B-9A58-B7A16BE57CB3.jpeg
    DDA535C5-21DF-4F0B-9A58-B7A16BE57CB3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
And do you all just use extension cords for all that don’t reach (I think all!)? And from appliance to the surge protector right? Surge protector last into the wall so it can protect?

Thank you everyone!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would put uv in the middle. Basking at one end and other heat source at the other end. Put the hide on the opposite end from the basking spot. If you need more heat at night then put it on the basking end.
Yes extension cords/strip.

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
I would put uv in the middle. Basking at one end and other heat source at the other end. Put the hide on the opposite end from the basking spot. If you need more heat at night then put it on the basking end.
Yes extension cords/strip.
Great! Thank you @wellington I’m glad you mentioned the humid hide too. Wasn’t sure if near the basking to make sure it’s warm and wet (as opposed to cooler and wet) or the cool end to get “a break” from the heat. I greatly appreciate it!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great! Thank you @wellington I’m glad you mentioned the humid hide too. Wasn’t sure if near the basking to make sure it’s warm and wet (as opposed to cooler and wet) or the cool end to get “a break” from the heat. I greatly appreciate it!
Not on a cool side as far as it's actually cool. Wet and cold makes a sick tort. Just cooler then the basking side.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Oh I thought I read on here that the uv light also produces some heat. If not that’s great. I haven’t been able to hang it yet to know the temp lol. ;)
I also read that the basically the uv should be in the middle, then the basking in the middle of that, then the CHE in the middle too! This is combined info so trying to figure out the best way to align them and not sure I can use more than the one straight middle bar.

Oh! I just saw there have been more comments! Lol Bugee cords are also a good idea. I’m just hoping to use something I have with the zip ties if ok.
My fixture doesn’t have hooks or loops. It has two little divots on top but not really holes. It has fasteners to attach under a wood or screen top.

Here’s a pics. I added one of the parts that came with it and of the greenhouse frame I’m trying to hang everything from.

Edit: The fasteners/pieces provided for an under mount have a clip to snap the fixture into. I thought about running a tiny zip tie between the clip and fixture then another perpendicular that would loop through and over the bar. Just not sure if the clip would be compromised where the fixture could fall.

I don't trust those clips for supporting a light over an enclosure. If it was me, I'd take the fixture apart and make my own mounting holes. But if thats not something you're comfortable doing, I think the next best option would be using wire or zip ties wrapped around the ends next to the reflector, and then attaching chain to that. I'd use metal zip ties, but if you're comfortable using the zip ties you have, you can use them.

The important part of the lighting layout is to have the UVB light over the basking area, most everything else comes down to preference.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

In my Russian's PVC enclosure I drilled holes through the plastic part of the fixture and inserted i-bolts. I then hung it by chains form the ceiling. I'm sure you could do something similar from the metal frame. The best part of the chains is you can lower and raise it as needed. I attached some pics.

Attachments

• tempImageM7v6Ct.png
    tempImageM7v6Ct.png
    15.8 MB · Views: 19
  • tempImagevOHrWK.png
    tempImagevOHrWK.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 23
  • tempImagefE4yt7.png
    tempImagefE4yt7.png
    14.2 MB · Views: 20
  • tempImageT3jp8T.png
    tempImageT3jp8T.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 21

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
In my Russian's PVC enclosure I drilled holes through the plastic part of the fixture and inserted i-bolts. I then hung it by chains form the ceiling. I'm sure you could do something similar from the metal frame. The best part of the chains is you can lower and raise it as needed. I attached some pics.
Wow that looks great. Thank you for such great pictures. I’ve gotten them hung with the zip ties and still working on getting the temps just right but I think I’m on the right track.

Thank you everyone!

Attachments

• 11965EC5-6198-4EDC-B51B-6CF9FD9B8BC7.jpeg
    11965EC5-6198-4EDC-B51B-6CF9FD9B8BC7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 5FD1202D-D76C-4CC0-8294-8189E81AE9BC.jpeg
    5FD1202D-D76C-4CC0-8294-8189E81AE9BC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 5B1E3190-57F6-460A-8E07-34516A447BCD.jpeg
    5B1E3190-57F6-460A-8E07-34516A447BCD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21