Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
Have any of you guys posted any tortoise on Craigslist for sale and were harrassed? I have a couple of little red-foots that I wanted to sell. I got an email asking how much for the pair. They sell at petco for $110, so I said "$150 for the pair." He then wrote back and said that was too much money and he's reporting me to the I.R.S. and accused me of being a breeder. Whaaaat?? He keeps harassing me to no end about reporting me, it's the weirdest thing that's happened to me in a long time. I guess it's just someone trolling craigslist that has no life. Anyone had a similar experience? I've posted our whole email conversation thus far. I really hate getting into crap like this with stupid people, but this guy was really getting under my skin! There are a couple of choice words from him that I did not edit out.

-Matt

Him: how much for the pair?

Me:I'm asking $150 for the pair or $90 each. Thanks.

Him: i dont wanna be a jerk but you know petsmart sells them for $69.99 each.
just letting you know your wholesaleing. i will offer 120 for both

Me:I was just at Petco last night, and they are $109.99. I think my price is fair. If you want to go to Petsmart and get some, then help yourself. My price is firm.

Him: ok your being flagged

Respond if you like i don't care. This e-mail address is used to monitor
and flag CL only. All threats are forwarded automatically to Denton Co.
Constable.

Have a nice day

Me: Ok, you need to stay out of my business for one thing. I can't help that you don't like my asking price. I'll just keep posting them. I followed all of Craigslist's rules by not posting an asking price. I'll report you if you keep getting into my business. You respond with a threat to me, and say I'll be reported if I threaten you? Haha! Have a nice day.

Him: i never threatened you i just flagged and removed your ad. well one of
them anyway! oh by the way ijust got back from petsmart off 121 and
bought that redfoot i was talkini bout for 69.99. if you would like i
can advertise for petsmart on CL and let everyone your overpriced. Guy
your a moron , i offered 120 for both 30 less than your asking after
proving your retailing these tortoises. so yeah keep it up and i'll make
sure you'll never sell them animals.

Constable.

Have a nice day

Him: OH YEAH FLAGGING IS LEGAL IDIOT!!!

Constable.

Have a nice day

Him: report me i'm doing nothing wrong. go ahead. you cant do ****.

Constable.

Have a nice day

Me: Hey, tough guy. I've sold many red-foots for the prices I set. I don't care who sales for what. You need to stay out of my business. I always sell for less than their worth. I hatch my own tortoises and spend a lot of money on them. If you're not too scared, come over and I'll give them to you for $100. Something tells me you won't leave your pathetic loser life behind the computer. Have a nice day.
-Matt. Call me 817-798-1909

Him: first off i told you i just bought one and i dont need your unhealthy
crap animals. second i call you it turns into harrasment. third your
just admitted to being a breeder which violates CL rules. so no i wont
stay out of your business i know the law your an idiot.

Constable.

Have a nice day

Me: No harassment from me. I offered you a killer deal and gave you my phone number. Quit with the email or you will really **** me off.

Him: just thought you should know i sent your info and our conversation to
the IRS since you admitted to breeding, hatching, pricing, and selling
reptiles i;m sure they'll want to talk to you bout your illegal no tax
paying profitized business. i wish you would have just sold me the damn
tortoises

Constable.

Have a nice day

Me: It's ok, my wife's mother works for the IRS, I'm not worried. Don't contact me at this email address anymore, or I'll report you for harassment. Got it? If you Want to talk, you have my phone number.

-The end (for now) :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No I have never received anything like that LOL, it sounds like a troll, or someone who wants to scare you into lowering your animals prices. I love the part that says this an email used for monitoring CL, LOL I love that part.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Ha! Yeah, it was in every email response. I thought I was being a pretty nice guy for the most part. I'm so curious to why he/she has such a hatred for me. Weird weird people out there.

-Matt

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Funny that he says he doesn't want your "unhealthy crap animals" yet he went straight to petsmart to buy his very own. Last I checked, petsmart is the #1 place in my book that sells "unhealthy" animals. Talk about an idiot getting what he paid for. :)

I do a lot on craigslist and the like and I have never had anything like this. I have been taken personal criticism unrelated to ads in the name of the person hoping for a lower price (by the way, insulting the seller is not the way to do that). I don't think you have anything to worry about since there's nothing this guys can or realistically take the time of his day to do.

Since it's craiglist there's also the chance he's nigerian...did he ask for any paypal information? Western Union? Shipping overseas? Offers for a million or two dollars? Gosh, that right there sums up 99% of my spam mail.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have had some strange people contact me from C/L but nothing like that. I have never sold an animal on C/L.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The best thing to do in these circumstances is to not respond to them. Anything you say adds fuel to his fire.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I know, that's what my wife keeps saying, ha! I know I shouldn't have responded with anything, but I'm a guy and guys sometimes can't let things go, lol. Hopefully my last email put an end to it. Do you ever come across those people that just get under your skin? ":)

-Matt

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
CL is full of wing nuts like that.I had a car for sale on there and was contacted by someone whos e-mail was from a church.He tried to get me to donate the car to the church for a tax write off..It was a Jaguar,and this guy wanted it for free.

The mouth on this guy when I declined his offer was crazy...Just ignore people like that.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
zzzdanz said:
CL is full of wing nuts like that.I had a car for sale on there and was contacted by someone whos e-mail was from a church.He tried to get me to donate the car to the church for a tax write off..It was a Jaguar,and this guy wanted it for free.

The mouth on this guy when I declined his offer was crazy...Just ignore people like that.

Yeah, I had a similar experience when I sold some drums. I didn't get foul language, but it was claiming to be a church, and wanted them for free.

-Matt

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I had 1 of my drum sets on there to.Yamaha recording customs..8-10-12-13-14-16-20. Had a church offer $400.I offered the guy a cheap set for his church for free, and he went off on me as well.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
LOL, here is one I got from a Kingsnake ad where I was selling my baby albino sulcatas. I vaguely remembered this same guy harassing me a year or so ago, so I was a bit standoffish right off the bat. I tried to edit the bad words, sorry if I missed any:

wow 3 grand for a hatchling isnt that a bit high? I mean way high? Like 3 times to much?

No actually it's not. I have a deposit on one of them already. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

Lol I did NOT say I could not afford it. IF you can read I was saying 3k is HIGH. Kind of like you. As I purchased a 75 Pound Fully Grown Albino for 3,500. D***. Perhaps next time you will not jump to conclusions and be a Prick when someone enquires about your price. Assuming somone can not afford something because they believe the price is high is as ignorant as assumption itself.

I'm still trying to figure out the point of your initial e-mail. If you had any idea about them, you'd know that two recently sold on Kingsnake for $2,500 each, and I know I can get more than that. There are two more on there for $4,550 and $7,500. Did you e-mail them and tell them their price was too high? If I want to sell mine for $3,000 each, I will do that, and I will get it. If you don't like it, that's your problem. If someone thinks an albino sulcata with red eyes should be selling for $1,000, it shows that they do not know the market. You weren't e-mailing to inquire about the price. You were e-mailing because you have nothing better to do.

Well 2,500 is high as well. Ive been buying tortoises on KS since 1999 back when reptilesonline was better than KS and free. In general I could expect to see an Albino go from 1,500. each to 2,500.00. No I did not talk to the others about there prioces as your add is the first time Ive ever seen an albino offered for more then 2,500. Most of the ones I had seen for sale sold in the 1,500. range.

My initial Email was "ASKING" You if you thought your prices where a little High for a hatchling. And if I had no interest I guess I owuld not be looking at the adds then. As stricktly a Buyer I look at adds for one thing only. Shopping. And Im sure you have better things to do than to be offended by someone calling you out on your prices.

Don't tell me that I do not know the market. I know the market very well. Sam Garrera was and I believe he still is offering a 150 Pound Red Eyed Albino for 4,000.00. In fact he has a LOT of albino breeders for sale. Not asking much more than you ask for a hatchling. So trying to school someone telling them they do not know the market. Probly be wiser to know who your talking to first. But then your assumptions have not been exactly wise, from the get go.

I emailed you because your price suck a** and anyone who had the slight idea of the Market can get the same tortoise for HALF the price. I wonder what Percentage of customers will actually look at other albinos for sale before they pay 3 grand for yours. What ever the percentage is, is the amount of customers you loose by being greedy.

. My first message was enquiring about your price. Some people are going to wonder and ask. I was not rude nor was I in the wrong. Your firsat reaction shows deep down you know your over priced or you would not have become so offended right off the bat.

If your going to be in Sales you should expect people to call you on, Quality., Shipping, And Price its standard issues in sales. And IF someone can do better and see you are WAY ovber priced, they are going to wonder why. Perhaps a Blow job is included in the price. I would not say anything if it was just priced High at say 2,500. But when it is 1,500.00 more than it could be purchased for. People are going to wonder.

Now you claim I have nothing better to do. Yet if You had anything better to do you woudl not start a big deal about someone enquring about your price. You could have left it simple ie "No Blow Jobs are not included, My price is ferm!"

Get all personal right off the line and what would you expect. Cant say your big in wisdom.

Oh, grow up and get a life. If you've resorted to name calling, you're obviously out of a good argument. I really don't give a damn what you think about my prices. I sell lots of animals, and if business was hurting I would lower my prices. I don't need or want your opinion about my prices. I can do whatever I want with my prices, and I will sell them at my price whether you approve of it or not. I don't care what you paid or what Sam is selling something for. I don't look around at what's out there then try to lowball it to sell something. I charge as much as I can sell something for - simple business, really, and I will sell both of them for $3K each. I'm surprised it has to be explained to you in such simple terms. The fact that I've wasted this much time with you is already getting to me. I'll go ahead and add you to the spam list since you're obviously not interested in anything I have.

Lol talk about grow up. You sound like a 12 year old "I can do what I want to do" Sure and a customer can ask why your prices are so high. No Big deal. Your the one who made the big issue. And then you constantly Back peddle. Now your copping out with the "I can do what I want" First it was trying to school me on Market value and how you where not over priced. Now its "I can do what I want to do"

Sure you might get lucky and find someone dumb enough not to find one for standard price and save 1,500.00 But your selling relies on someone being more ignorant than you. Now that you admit your price is high, Im sure you can imagine that customers will ask about it. Possibly wondering if it comes with a year supply of BJs. Kind of like if I offer a Box turtle for a thousand bucks. Im not going to be shocked when someone asks why my price is so high. Perfectly natural when your price is WAY above standard.

I guess I have to break this down for you in hopes that your single digit iq can understand. It has nothing to do with rather I "Like" your price or not. It has to do with a Market value and over 10 years of purchasing tortoises on KS. When a customer sees something sell for 10-15$ for 10 years and then comes this one guy asking 35$ for what appears to be the same exact thing which is only "Worth" 10-15$ Chances are he is going to figure it comes with something extra or it is extra special in some way as to be of twice the value.

I did not come to you telling you "I do not like your price" I asked if you thought it was a bit much for an albino. You did not have to cry about it, Act like a big child over it and then tell me to grow up. Perhaps you need to look in the mirror. Read your emails again. Practice what you preach and finally go f*** your self. Maybe itl change your attitude over all.

Are you gonna be ok? Did you get it all out of your system?

Lol mature cop out..

They sold about a week after this e-mail took place :)

This idiot has been added to the "bad customer" list that myself and a few other reptile vendors have put together.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I got similar responses when I sold my box turtles years back. It isn't overpriced if someone is willing to pay for it, it's just good business to get as much as you can for something.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
Yeah a lot of people on CL think they are god. I had 6 boa constrictors and my husband wanted me to get rid of 4 of them because we had 15 snakes and the boas were the biggest. So I posted the 4 on CL. 1 was a Salmon Jungle female 5' and hefty so she was ready for breeding so I asked for $100 o.b.o. 1 was a Salmon het. Sunglow female 2' long still young and I asked $120 o.b.o. 1 was a Anery female 6 1/2' and a proven breeder so I asked $150 o.b.o. 1 was an Albino male 3' and I asked $175 o.b.o. I thought all these were great prices since I paid WAY more than that for them and this one person told me I was selling them for WAY over what they were worth. I told the person that they could see the paper work where I had bought them. I was being very reasonable and if someone makes an offer I would accept it because I had to get rid of them. I paid $250 for the salmon jungle, $350 for the salmon het. sunglow, $450 for the albino, and $400 for the anery. They still harrased me and flagged me and then posted a nasty letter on CL. I ended up selling the boas to a friend who ownes and runs his own store. I now stay off of CL because so many people want to play god on there and they will flag everything to do with reptiles now. It's really sad because the last time I had got on there someone had post a nasty letter saying that any pit bull ads they would flag because all pits should be put down grrr people make me SO mad.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I agree, when they turn nasty on you.. don't respond. CL is full of idiots, bashers, etc. and more often that not, if you keep ignoring them they will go away and pick on somebody else.

If you keep replying to them, you are giving them what they want and playing their little game with them.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tyler I'm honestly surprised you only sold them for $3,000. I was thinking you could probably get 4 - 5 thosuand each. I haven't checked Kingsnake everyday since 1999 though so maybe I'm way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.