Hatchling handling

Location (City and/or State)
Somerset, UK
Hi, I'm a new addition to the tortoise owning family. First, this forum has been the best source of information for keeping my new baby tortoise happy, healthy, and I hope thriving! So thank you all. I've read lots of different opinions on handling tortoises, so I just wanted to see what people's views are here. I have a hatchling Spur Thigh. He gets a daily bath and doesn't seem to bothered about being picked up to be popped in, so long as he's not left dangling. He very happily eats from my hand. Does he need more interaction than this? For example, a couple of times I've rubbed water onto his shell while bathing, is there any experience that would say he would enjoy this/prefer I didn't? I would love to form a bond with him but his happiness is most important.

N

no one

Hello and welcome to the forum!! I would continue doing what you are doing and your Tortoise will become used to it and probably more outgoing in time.

Can we see some pictures? And what is his name, or hers? Lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm one that is all about the handling and also touching of head, neck, feet, legs. The more you do the less they care and if you ever had to take them too a vet, they wouldn't have as much of a problem examining them as they will a shy one that clamps up all pulled in.

N

no one

That is true Wellington. I didn't realize, but I stroke their head, there shell, touch there feet and legs. I even give them a kiss on there nose. They don't mind. I do it without thinking.

N

no one

This is all during their soak time. And I like to feed them by hand with cactus. It gets so sticky.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some people like to handle and interact with their tortoise a lot, and other people are more hands off. Either way is fine for the tortoise and they get used to whichever way you choose.

Somerset, UK
20180426_093230.jpg 20180426_125523.jpg Thank you so much everyone, that's all really reassuring. I'm sorry for the lack of reply for so long, Debora his (and I use the term very loosely) name is George. We've had him since February this year, and we simply adore him.

NickA

Mid Atlantic
I could be wrong hopefully someone else will comment but I don't think that's a spur thigh.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
He looks like a spur thigh to me. He also looks rather dry. Are you keeping him in a humid closed chamber enclosure, or an open top one?

Somerset, UK
An open top enclosure. He has a constant water source and gets bathed every morning. Excuse the 20180521_151645.jpg plants, all are tortoise friendly so he can forage as he likes. This is just his hatchling enclosure, we're working on building a much larger indoor enclosure at the moment, and he'll have a safe outdoor enclosure when the weather stabilises too.

Somerset, UK
Definitely not a sulcata!! The breeder definitely identified it as a Greek/ Spur Thigh, and my research agreed. His underside markings match a Greek tort

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's what I have against using 'nick names' for species. It's a spur thigh, or Testudo graeca (greek) tortoise. A sulcata is best referred to as just that - a sulcata. Some people mistakenly call it an African spur thigh, but that's wrong. If you must use the 'spur' designation, it would be African spurred tortoise. But isn't it easier to just say 'sulcata'?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
May I suggest you get rid of that waterer and use a plant saucer instead? Plant saucers sunk down into the substrate are much easier, and safer, for babies to climb into and out of.