Hatchling handling

Location (City and/or State)
Somerset, UK
May I suggest you get rid of that waterer and use a plant saucer instead? Plant saucers sunk down into the substrate are much easier, and safer, for babies to climb into and out of.
Would you recommend a ceramic or just a plastic one? And, just so I know I'm following you, I'm assuming you mean the saucer that sits under a plant pot? I would hate to put anything in that would cause him danger

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would you recommend a ceramic or just a plastic one? And, just so I know I'm following you, I'm assuming you mean the saucer that sits under a plant pot? I would hate to put anything in that would cause him danger
I prefer the terra cotta ones. They are shallow, the sides are sloped and they offer good traction for little wet tortoise feet.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
That's what I have against using 'nick names' for species. It's a spur thigh, or Testudo graeca (greek) tortoise. A sulcata is best referred to as just that - a sulcata. Some people mistakenly call it an African spur thigh, but that's wrong. If you must use the 'spur' designation, it would be African spurred tortoise. But isn't it easier to just say 'sulcata'?

I think your right, that’s why people end up coming on here showing picture of their Greek Spur Thigh only to be told on here that what they actually have is a Sulcata. I’ve seen it already in the short time I’ve been on this forum.