Hatchlings outdoors?

ShellyTheTortoise71

Hello. I just wanted to know if my red foot baby could live outdoors. I just got a 4 month old red foot, and I wanted to keep her outside. Is that ok or should I wait until she's older?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
If the outdoor conditions are ideal for a baby redfoot, then I don't see why not.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I don't have redfoots, but my young leopards I only take out for an hour or so at a time. It is easier to ensure optimal conditions indoors.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do not have experience with raising RFs. However, with every other species that I have raised they do NOT do well when housed outside full time as babies, regardless of the conditions. Stars, both types of leopards, sulcatas, russians, and CDTs ALL fare better when kept mostly indoors as babies. As they gain size I leave them outside longer and longer during the day, but still bring them in at night.

Babies do much better when raised indoors the majority of the time. I only put small ones out for and hour or two a day at most and I soak them on the way back in.

I would not leave a four month old outside full time even if I lived in the natural range of the species. They do better inside with an appropriate set up. I have tested this theory many times and many ways.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Personally, I bring all babies indoors every evening.
My young Redfoots spend the day in predator proof enclosure that is well planted, has water and is partially covered in shade cloth.
Enjoy your baby!