have a question about age and breeding

phebe121

My leopards are 20 months old 7 inches and i cought them mating today can she get pregnant or is she to young

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Too young, too small usually the earliest is 10 inches. They probably wasn't mating, just a dominance thing. Keep a eye on them as one may not be getting enough food and could be bullied by the more dominant animal. It might be time to separate them.

phebe121

They never shown any dominance to eachother both eat ton of food the dont bit each other they share the food

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
As they reach maturity, I would fully expect the peaceful existence to end. Sounds like you are seeing signs that it's over. I would make arrangements to separate.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Well if i need to separate i will .i have the space
I agree with the members who suggested separating them. It's a well-known fact that torts do not like company. So don't expect peace to go on that long.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Something that is often not understood is the "mounting" behavior animals do that is strictly a dominance act. I brought a male (fixed) 1 yr old Shepard dog into the home recently with my 10 yo Rott mix (male - fixed). As they played and struggled for dominance in the first couple weeks, the Shepard would try and mount my Rott..... of course he didn't care for that much and let the puppy know about it.

Another example. I bring my tortoises out of their individual outside enclosures to my large Lanai sometimes to watch them, feed, and relate to them. They all have their own enclosures, so only see each other if they are together on the lanai. Most of the time, they just ignore each other and eat, or wander around exploring. I usually only bring two at a time out so I can watch them (I have a pool too, so far no one has taken the plunge :)

Well, I got a 3.5 yo Leopard male "Elder", who is small at about 2.3lbs, and had him out walking and eating. Brought out my 9 lb Sulcata "Tiny" to visit me, and he ate his pile then went for a walkabout. I turned to water some plants, and when I looked back at them my Sulcata had walked over and mounted the little leopard. I quickly separated them and decided the leopard and sully would not be visiting the lanai together any time too soon !

My point is, this is not always sexual, it is sometimes a dominance move. Many animals do this, it is common.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have not heard of a leopard tortoise less than 10 inches laying eggs, so I would be inclined to say that it is still too early. Are you sure they are male and female?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Males reach adolescence much sooner than females. I don't like my young males harassing my young growing females. What a horrible stressful way for a young girl to have to grow up.

Time to separate them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had to separate my male Gpp from the females when they were 1.5 years old. Even at 4-6" they were all over each other.

Alaskamike

South Florida
What is a lanai?
It's an enclosed / screened in area attached to the house. Like an enclosed porch mostly in the South , more than one person has asked. I forget that up North they are not built. But almost all houses in South Florida have one. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439902711.417076.jpg

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
It's an enclosed / screened in area attached to the house. Like an enclosed porch mostly in the South , more than one person has asked. I forget that up North they are not built. But almost all houses in South Florida have one. View attachment 144257
all houses with land that is also it is over most of Florida from Gainsville to Miami