Hawksbeard??

Violanna

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I have a few of these weeds all over, they LOOK like hawksbeard, but we usually weed eat them before they grow flowers. Would love some input before I try feeding it.

IMG_4179.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know the name of that one, but its good tortoise food. I feed it to all of mine regularly.

Violanna

Texas
I don't know the name of that one, but its good tortoise food. I feed it to all of mine regularly.

Yay!! Now just to figure out how to get him to eat things he doesn’t ‘like’ he will try most things but so far mustard greens are the only thing he will really eat. So I’ll be taking those away for a week or so.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I’m never sure about hawksbeard, we’ve had to liittle rain I haven’t seen it in a while. But it’s a dandelion relative one way or the other, as Tom says, and fine to feed. Chop a very little of it, wet it and mix it in with her other food. Usually once they get used to the taste they will be willing to eat more of it. She may have not had much in this plant group before or not in a very long time; it’s totally different from the family those mustard greens are in. Good luck.

Here are a couple of photos that may help you narrow down which is which of some of the more common chicories.

FE53297E-53AB-4605-AE3F-EE2FC01D0E81.jpeg

4EBBC180-2A5D-4589-AFBD-BBFDD2A2801E.jpeg

drew54

Indiana
I have those all over my area. I have a mix between hawksbeard and dandelion. I feed my tort those and she seems to like them however I haven't tried the flower yet as it's getting colder they aren't blooming.

Violanna

Texas
I’m never sure about hawksbeard, we’ve had to liittle rain I haven’t seen it in a while. But it’s a dandelion relative one way or the other, as Tom says, and fine to feed. Chop a very little of it, wet it and mix it in with her other food. Usually once they get used to the taste they will be willing to eat more of it. She may have not had much in this plant group before or not in a very long time; it’s totally different from the family those mustard greens are in. Good luck.

Here are a couple of photos that may help you narrow down which is which of some of the more common chicories.

View attachment 256876

View attachment 256875

Thanks for the image! I have all of those growing around! They just never get to flowering stage!

Violanna

Texas
I was just out foraging for weeds and wild flowers in my back field and found a ton of stuff. Narrowed down most of the safe or not. But I have 4 plants I couldn’t identify on tortoise table. I have a ground cover, a succulent and 2 purple wild flowers. Any help would be great. IMG_4182.jpgIMG_4184.jpgIMG_4185.jpgIMG_4186.jpg

Violanna

Texas

Tortnewb

Palm Beach
My Turdy loves those!

Attachments

• FFE677B5-F886-43E6-A0FB-49FF7F27942C.jpeg
    FFE677B5-F886-43E6-A0FB-49FF7F27942C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Relic

Here
2nd pic looks like purslane...I hope the poster hasn't waited 2 1/2 years for an answer, the plucked plants have invariably perished.

Violanna

Texas
2nd pic looks like purslane...I hope the poster hasn't waited 2 1/2 years for an answer, the plucked plants have invariably perished.

no I didn’t wait haha! Though I’m now in a new home with completely different weeds. Also a new tort! Thanks though