Healthy growth rate for a CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
This will be my first brumation season, too, Ellen. We can worry together. And when we can't take it any more we'll bug Angela for reassurance.

LOL, you are funny :p

Rebecca, I was looking back on your threads and see that you have had them since April of this year....is that correct? If yes, then you will really want to keep them up for this winter (just what I would do because you have had them for less than a year)....and keep getting to know them--and continue to prep them for next years winter sleep, this way you can be assured they are healthy and ready and plump and hydrated ....you know what I mean? :D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
ascott said:
This will be my first brumation season, too, Ellen. We can worry together. And when we can't take it any more we'll bug Angela for reassurance.

LOL, you are funny :p

Rebecca, I was looking back on your threads and see that you have had them since April of this year....is that correct? If yes, then you will really want to keep them up for this winter (just what I would do because you have had them for less than a year)....and keep getting to know them--and continue to prep them for next years winter sleep, this way you can be assured they are healthy and ready and plump and hydrated ....you know what I mean? :D

Yes, they've only been with us since April. For just this reason I was planning to over-winter, but got frustrated by our options. The shed we planned to use for the cool weather isn't insulated, and when I investigated the cost of getting them set up properly in there it was pretty intimidating. The other option is for them to stay in our laundry room, which is where they spend cool nights now. But I'm not sure that's quite right either. Honestly, I'm scratching my head over this one, but leaning toward brumation, which is what they did at their prior home.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is there no way to set up a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub (or two hooked together) and set up lights and such so you can keep them indoors for the winter?

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
ascott said:
Is there no way to set up a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub (or two hooked together) and set up lights and such so you can keep them indoors for the winter?

That's what I was planning to do in the shed, but it seemed like it would take more than just a couple lights to keep them warm enough in there without the insulation. I'm still debating bringing them into the kitchen/laundry area, which is where they are right now in their Rubbermaids. It's just such a small and busy area of the house. I dunno, maybe they'd get used to the commotion. Hubby is voting for brumation. I'm vacillating.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Out in and uninsulated shed it would be difficult to regulate temps...but indoors it would be much easier....and yes, you could brumate, but I would hesitate in suggesting this, you see---a tort should be started out from the moment they wake up from brumation on eating, soaking, sunning, exercising--all in mind for their next brumation and there is no way to know what he has had prior to april..and you have only known him a short time....

Well, whichever way you all decide to go, I do wish the best :D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
ascott said:
Out in and uninsulated shed it would be difficult to regulate temps...but indoors it would be much easier....and yes, you could brumate, but I would hesitate in suggesting this, you see---a tort should be started out from the moment they wake up from brumation on eating, soaking, sunning, exercising--all in mind for their next brumation and there is no way to know what he has had prior to april..and you have only known him a short time....

Well, whichever way you all decide to go, I do wish the best :D

Thanks, Angela. What I know from their previous keeper is that Gomez and Morticia brumated last year in his laundry room. We have had them since about a month after they woke up, and they have been living mostly outside, with a diet of grasses, weeds and greens, and soaks 2-3 times per week. They've been quite active, with near daily excursions around the 5000-sq foot yard, and lots of room to climb in their outdoor enclosure. My thinking is, if they brumated successfully under their prior living conditions, which were less healthy in terms of diet, hydration, exercise, etc., they should be OK. Now, mind you, I would love any excuse to keep the little cuties awake all winter so I can enjoy them, so if I can figure out a way to build them a nicer indoor enclosure than their current one -- which is a couple Rubbermaids with orchid bark on top of the washer and dryer that we use for cool/rainy nights -- then I will gladly over-winter them. Just not sure how to accomplish it in our small house.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, sounds like they have been doing well then......I bet they will be aok as well, there is no exact science, wish there were...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.