Heat bulb for my mud turtle

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I'm having trouble finding heat bulbs for my mud turtle to bask under. The only incandescents I can find any more are eco-friendly (which I agree is a GOOD thing) but don't put out enough heat. If I use TWO bulbs, they apparently put out too much LIGHT, and she hides under her basking ramp and won't come out to bask. I would add that she LOOOOVES to bask and does so often when the light and heat are right.
Should I go back to an MVB? She loved that but I was told it was causing her individual carapace scutes to bow outwards a bit.
Thanks! :)

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I'm having trouble finding heat bulbs for my mud turtle to bask under. The only incandescents I can find any more are eco-friendly (which I agree is a GOOD thing) but don't put out enough heat. If I use TWO bulbs, they apparently put out too much LIGHT, and she hides under her basking ramp and won't come out to bask. I would add that she LOOOOVES to bask and does so often when the light and heat are right.
Should I go back to an MVB? She loved that but I was told it was causing her individual carapace scutes to bow outwards a bit.
Thanks! :)
First of all!...happy birthday. I like to use the ceramic heat emitter. I used 200watt because they put out a lot of heat. I'm sure a 100watt would be fine too. You'll have to adjust the level so it's not too hot or you can put it on a dimmer. Enjoy your day!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
First of all!...happy birthday. I like to use the ceramic heat emitter. I used 200watt because they put out a lot of heat. I'm sure a 100watt would be fine too. You'll have to adjust the level so it's not too hot or you can put it on a dimmer. Enjoy your day!
Thank you! :)

A ceramic heat emitter is safe suspended over an aquarium?
It’ll be ok if it gets splashed on when she slides off?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! :)

A ceramic heat emitter is safe suspended over an aquarium?
It’ll be ok if it gets splashed on when she slides off?
Its safe, but it doesn't emit any light. You can probably order the bulbs you need on-line and have them delivered. Its getting harder to find them in stores anywhere. Incandescent bulbs have been banned for sale in CA. We can't even have them shipped in for our special needs. I have to get them from out of state and bring them back myself.