Hello all! New to Tortoise Keeping!

Kimberly Erickson

Hello tortoise lovers!

I've been a long-time admirer of the beautiful tortoise. I (finally) got my first tortoise yesterday. I know, I know, PetCo is the worst place to get animals from. But that's where I got him. His name is Captain Herbert. Cute, right? :) Anyway, I just got him. I've read up on tortoises on all the .org websites, official and all that jazz, and I know it's normal for them not to eat or drink within the first week or two. I've made sure to soak him just so he gets some water. I'm just concerned about the not eating. Also, how often do you give treats like fruits? The pet store gave them apples everyday, which I heard was BAD for their diet.

Tips much appreciated, thanks!!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO Kimberly. You're going to find lots of great information here. Where are you located? In order to make sure you get the advice you need, can you tell us what kind of tort you have (I'm guessing Russian since you posted in this sub-forum?) and how it is housed? Photos are even better when it comes to getting help with how you house your tortoise. Lots of members will chime in with tips once we know more about your climate and your tortoise. And I love the name!!:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Kimberly Erickson

Thank you all for your welcomes and advice! Just bought the ZooMed light recommended for the tortoises. Also Captain Herbert is now eating, basking, and running around his cage like none other. I guess he just needed another day! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you all for your welcomes and advice! Just bought the ZooMed light recommended for the tortoises. Also Captain Herbert is now eating, basking, and running around his cage like none other. I guess he just needed another day! :)

Which ZooMed light? The Powersun mercury vapor bulb, or the little compact florescent 10.0 type bulb?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kimberly, and welcome to the forum!!

What kind of tortoise is the Captain?

Kimberly Erickson

Captain is a Russian! Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! And the label on the light says Reptile Basking Spot Lamp