Hello friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheekys00

5 Year Member
Maybe some will remember, I inherited a 30lb sulcata from a friend that passed.
This is my first fall/winter with him. I have many Boxies, and red ears in a full fenced in backyard with ponds. I know how to deal with them, going on 8 yrs.
But I know this guy cant get cold and dont sleep in winter. How can I keep him out of harm? 30lb is too big for a container. Can anyone help with a suggestion?

2013-07-03 21.32.23 (1).png

20130614_151655 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cheekys00

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
I remember..where are you located? What state?

Thank you. I am in missouri right now, but moving to Colorado after thanks giving. Love this guy, and gotta do right for my friend

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Seeing your going to be moving. I would try to set him up in your garage or a spare room or basement. With heat and basking spot, etc. Then once you move, I would build him a insulated, heated shed. A large tort can be allowed to go out into the cold, 40's or so, if they want, as long as they have a heated place to go to warm back up. Depending on the weather you have in Missouri this fall, he may be able to stay outside until you move, again with a warm place to go to.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Barb has the right ideas. You need a room or something you can keep him in and keep warm. I have a 37 pound Sulcata named Cooper that still sleeps with me in my bed. He is just a real good boy. He trained himself to know that poop and pee is only for the enclosure or the tub. So with that I am super fortunate. I hope you can figure out a way to keep your buddy, and keep him the proper way he needs to be kept. They are just so great to have in your life, I know mine is. He is about the only that's helped me since finding out about my disease. The light of my life. Best of luck to you both! :)

cheekys00

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Seeing your going to be moving. I would try to set him up in your garage or a spare room or basement. With heat and basking spot, etc. Then once you move, I would build him a insulated, heated shed. A large tort can be allowed to go out into the cold, 40's or so, if they want, as long as they have a heated place to go to warm back up. Depending on the weather you have in Missouri this fall, he may be able to stay outside until you move, again with a warm place to go to.

Thanks. No garage, BUT I can do a room in the finished basement. By the time I move the weather here will be COLD. I LOVE winter, love it, but here it is moist cold, freeze to the bone. I have no problem keeping him in the house. Got a 223lb english mastiff and a 120lb Rott, they welcomed him here when I got him, he'll do fine. Ill research for the temp and details. THANK you very much for taking the time to explain me out of my situation.

cemmons12 said:
Barb has the right ideas. You need a room or something you can keep him in and keep warm. I have a 37 pound Sulcata named Cooper that still sleeps with me in my bed. He is just a real good boy. He trained himself to know that poop and pee is only for the enclosure or the tub. So with that I am super fortunate. I hope you can figure out a way to keep your buddy, and keep him the proper way he needs to be kept. They are just so great to have in your life, I know mine is. He is about the only that's helped me since finding out about my disease. The light of my life. Best of luck to you both! :)

THAT IS THE BEST/FUNNIEST thing I have heard of. Being a dog behaviorist, I hear lots of things about dogs. SO great to hear that type stuff about turtles. Every one of my 13 boxies have personalities of their own. A few will follow me all thru the yard. Just under a half acre, MILENKO loves it. Im gonna miss it.
Please know I appreciate you taking time to help me out, and your story made me laugh.
I hate the thought that it comes with you having a disease. That is so tragic, my heart goes out to you. My buddy, that I got Milenko from died from diabetes complications at 35. I very truly hope you can pull through your disease with no scratches.
Anyone that doesnt have a turtles in life is missing out. They are just great.
When I move, I will see about making a outdoor home, maybe with plywood, with 2in foamboard lining it with some kind of heat source. Or maybe an outdoor rubbermaid garden shed.
Again, thank you, and luv and light to you!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
cemmons12 said:

I'm an animal behaviour enthusiast and I'm currently trying to learn more about my Hermannis behaviour and cognition. Your sully's behaviour is very interesting! I may need to pick your brain about how your tort learned that.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE], & Aussies (@YWG)

Status
Not open for further replies.