Hello from Arizona!

swilli

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
My name is Sarah and I just recently adopted a hatchling. I'd been thinking about adopting a desert tortoise from my local rescue for some time now, when a close friend's sister's tortoises, whom she's had for more than 20 years, had 9 hatchlings! They were actually convinced that one of the parent tortoises must've been sterile, b/c the two have been gettin' it on for years...haha...but never had any offspring!

Anyways...I brought the little guy/girl home for a visit with my 8 year old lab mix to make sure Mousse could get along ok with a new addition. To my surprise...he could care less. So I decided to keep it - and I say "it" b/c I honestly have no idea whether it's a boy or girl. I WAS under the impression that I was adopting a DESERT tortoise, however as I research further into tortoises, I really think I have a Sucata, which is ok since their natural habitat and diet are very similar.

Indiana Jones, or "Indi" for short...my nephews named it...is living temporarily parttime in a 27 gallon tub filled with several inches of a mixture of sand and top soil and a log hideaway, until I can build a permanent enclosure in the backyard to transition Indi outside after the winter. In the afternoons when I'm off work and working in the yard, Indi is free to roam and forage the natural weeds that have been accumulating since all of our crazy rain. I have LOTS of ideas and am excited to get started.

There is so much more to raising captive tortoises than I think most people realize and I'm looking forward to getting lots of good ideas, suggestions and tips from fellow tortoise lovers!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome, got any pics

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Hi Sarah!

Welcome to the forum. This is the best place ever, for tortoise info.
Please know that all dogs see tortoises as living rawhide and the best dog ever will harm your baby if given the chance.
We're happy to have you. :)

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Welcome from NV! Yeah, to second what Kathyth said, my dogs (as gentle as they come) ignored my desert hatchling until one day one of them didn't (nothing bad happened because I was right there and got my tortoise away before any harm could come to him). Ever since then I have made sure that dogs and tortoise are separated and that all my habitats were dog-proof. Even a playful dog just trying to be nice can hurt a hatchling.

gustaf

5 Year Member
Post a picture if you get a chance. We can probably confirm whether or not it is a sulcata.