Hello from KCMO

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Before I do anymore construction I will find out what size tortoise will be available from the breeder ( I estimate I won't be ready until middle of August) and then finish the enclosure keeping all this in mind and doing a little more research. I have already ordered and gotten in my lights and etc. Enclosure is the last thing I need to nail down and finish.

While we are on the subject...

What type of lights and fixtures did you get? All fixtures need to have a ceramic type base, not the plastic bakelite type.
What type of UV bulb did you get?

I don't mean to be nosey, but it will be much easier to prevent problems than to go back and try to fix problems later. That is, if you want the help...

Camp

I appreciate any and all help! I got the Zoomed Powersun MVB 100w, Zoomed Nocturnal Infared Heat Lamp 100W, Zoomed REpticare day/night timer, Zoomed mini deep dome dual lamp fixture, lamp stand, Reptitemp 500R Thermostat. I haven't gotten anything to measure humidity yet. I plan to construct a humid hide within my enclosure either by building a box or just providing a plastic container with hole cut in it for entrance and putting moss or coir in it. I have coir and topsoil to use as substrate. I also have a seed mix on the way I ordered from Tortoise Supply company, Mauzri LS, and herbal hay also from tortoise supply. I have been researching safe plants and weeds also to plant and use along with grocery store greens. I will also provide cuttlebone and toroise block for calcium.I I am just starting to pick up things to use in the enclosure such as hides and rocks and plants. I will say this and the same was true when my son and I were researching leopard geckos before we purchased his there is some conflicting things out there that make being properly prepared for your new family member sometimes very confusing so I am relying on experienced keepers to help out this new mama. My best friend and neighbor is also getting a tortoise so we are learning together and it has been fun.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations
Never has a day shined brighter or held more promise then the day you decided to join the forum.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves* Hi! I live a few hours away from you, but in NE. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Happy Birthday!
Have a great day.
Only a week or so til the new arrival.
You must be getting very excited.
Good luck with that.

Camp

Happy Birthday!
Have a great day.
Only a week or so til the new arrival.
You must be getting very excited.
Good luck with that.
Thank you for the Birthday wishes! Yes our new arrivals will be here next Thursday getting ready to plug in light and test temps and humidity in the enclosure before arrival time gets here. I have had so much fun starting seeds and getting the enclosure ready. We are getting hatchlings so using a rubber maid container until big enough for a table. I have started construction on my table. Outdoor enclosure while small is a kiddie wading pool but have awesome plans for a big outdoor enclosure for the future.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you for the Birthday wishes! Yes our new arrivals will be here next Thursday getting ready to plug in light and test temps and humidity in the enclosure before arrival time gets here. I have had so much fun starting seeds and getting the enclosure ready. We are getting hatchlings so using a rubber maid container until big enough for a table. I have started construction on my table. Outdoor enclosure while small is a kiddie wading pool but have awesome plans for a big outdoor enclosure for the future.
Sounds great.
Keep us posted.
We wanna see photos!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
If the Infra red lamp actually emits a red light then it has been advised on TF that this could confuse and stress your tort as they see red and like to eat red things. So maybe a CHE would better for night use as torts need darkness to sleep.
If it isn't a red light then ignore everything I just said!

Camp

Lyn it was a red light and I have already returned it after doing some reading. Good thing I have been working on this setup a month before tort arrival! I do have an question though I was setting up my light today to do a test run on temps I had Reptitemp 500R remote sensor thermostat that I am actually going to return because the prob being in there with the wire is worrying me. Wont' the tort chew on it? What does everyone use to monitor temps and humidity that is safe for the torts? I have a infrared temperature gun I can use to spot check is that all I need?