Help identifying tortoise?

LeafTort

Location (City and/or State)
Weymouth
I was recently gifted a tortoise by friends who no longer had the time to look after her (don't worry, i've done a lot of research on how to care for them and she seems fine! currently moving her from a vivarium to larger tortoise table) but they only told me she was a Mediterranean tortoise, not the specific subtype- I think she may be a Hermann's tortoise but I'm not sure! She has 4 claws on her front and back feet. IMG_4769.JPGIMG_4786.JPGIMG_4902.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know you said you did a lot of research already, but if you did it outside this forum, its 99% wrong or outdated. Be sure to read up on the right way on this forum.
Yes, it is a russian.

LeafTort

Weymouth
I know you said you did a lot of research already, but if you did it outside this forum, its 99% wrong or outdated. Be sure to read up on the right way on this forum.
Yes, it is a russian.
Yeah I found a lot of conflicting info! Now I know what type she is for sure I'll look up a caresheet on this forum, thank you:)

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I was recently gifted a tortoise by friends who no longer had the time to look after her (don't worry, i've done a lot of research on how to care for them and she seems fine! currently moving her from a vivarium to larger tortoise table) but they only told me she was a Mediterranean tortoise, not the specific subtype- I think she may be a Hermann's tortoise but I'm not sure! She has 4 claws on her front and back feet. View attachment 328127View attachment 328128View attachment 328129
Beautiful tortoise! It has a nice shell

zovick

10 Year Member!
I was recently gifted a tortoise by friends who no longer had the time to look after her (don't worry, i've done a lot of research on how to care for them and she seems fine! currently moving her from a vivarium to larger tortoise table) but they only told me she was a Mediterranean tortoise, not the specific subtype- I think she may be a Hermann's tortoise but I'm not sure! She has 4 claws on her front and back feet. View attachment 328127View attachment 328128View attachment 328129
@LeafTort
Your new Russian Tortoise looks very nice. It has very good shell growth for a long term captive specimen.

In one of the images you posted (#4902) it appears that the tortoise's beak may be slightly overgrown and need a bit of trimming. This is the only photo which shows the beak at all, and the angle of the shot and the lighting may be causing the appearance of overgrowth when in fact it is not.

Could you post another photo or two showing the face of the tortoise so we can evaluate the beak and determine for sure whether or not it would be helpful to trim it?

LeafTort

Weymouth
@LeafTort
Your new Russian Tortoise looks very nice. It has very good shell growth for a long term captive specimen.

In one of the images you posted (#4902) it appears that the tortoise's beak may be slightly overgrown and need a bit of trimming. This is the only photo which shows the beak at all, and the angle of the shot and the lighting may be causing the appearance of overgrowth when in fact it is not.

Could you post another photo or two showing the face of the tortoise so we can evaluate the beak and determine for sure whether or not it would be helpful to trim it?
IMG_4910.JPGThis is just a picture I have on my computer right now, I'll take another one close up in a minute!

LeafTort

Weymouth
That would be good. Also I recommend using a flash even if the photo is taken outside so that the shadows on the face are minimized.
10CEB74C-F9EC-4C79-B41C-1A0FBEE961D2.jpeg028C7BE3-606E-489C-8750-360A0C9AE7DC.jpeg254B6994-4344-4DC5-966C-6AB0A8D2FC18.jpeg
Here are 3 ive just taken, sorry they’re bad she’s still still quite shy so it was difficult to get pictures of her face before she retreated back into her shell! (Also I am currently using sand substrate as you can see in 3rd picture: this is what friends told me to use however I have ordered more suitable substrate that will arrive soon!)

zovick

10 Year Member!
View attachment 328135View attachment 328137View attachment 328139
Here are 3 ive just taken, sorry they’re bad she’s still still quite shy so it was difficult to get pictures of her face before she retreated back into her shell! (Also I am currently using sand substrate as you can see in 3rd picture: this is what friends told me to use however I have ordered more suitable substrate that will arrive soon!)
The beak is somewhat overgrown and could stand a trimming. If the tortoise is very shy as you mentioned, you may need to take it to a vet who can anesthetize it if need be to have the trimming done.

Sand is not good for tortoises, but I will leave the substrate discussion to others on this forum.

LeafTort

Weymouth
The beak is somewhat overgrown and could stand a trimming. If the tortoise is very shy as you mentioned, you may need to take it to a vet who can anesthetize it if need be to have the trimming done.

Sand is not good for tortoises, but I will leave the substrate discussion to others on this forum.
okay thank you so much for telling me! Yeah I feel awful for using sand but it’ll be replaced very soon

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome and thanks for taking on this tortoise and providing it a nice safe habitat. I suggest you check if there is a local reptile shop to get claw and beak trimmed or a vet .
Please read the care sheet as very informative, your aiming for smooth quality shell gained with good light, heat, humidity, substrate, hydration and diet. It will bring you joy. Ask questions as required there are breeders on this forum and many owners happy to offer advise etc....