Help! Lost Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
nicasio CA
I have a large outdoor area where I normally can let Sheldon, my tortoise out without supervision since it's fenced in. But when I came to check on him he was gone! Other than that tortoise run I don't have a fenced yard since I live on 25 acres. This is his first day missing, and I don't know how I'll find him. It's been pretty warm lately but I don't know how long that will last. Any tips and ideas on finding him would help so much. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have a picture of him?

Many times, they are just well hidden inside their enclosure. This would be especially easy to do this time of year with all the weeds. Did you get down on hands and knees and crawl around looking at tortoise level. Check at and around the bases of each bush and clump of weeds.

nicasio CA
Do you have a picture of him?

Many times, they are just well hidden inside their enclosure. This would be especially easy to do this time of year with all the weeds. Did you get down on hands and knees and crawl around looking at tortoise level. Check at and around the bases of each bush and clump of weeds.
Thanks! I do have a couple of pictures of him. I did crawl around tortoise level and didn't see him. I'll check again tomorrow.1587529631146.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russians will also dig in and sink themselves into the dirt. Sort of like a stingray in the sand. Look for an area of freshly disturbed dirt.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Yes! I am so happy you found him. I lost a Russian tortoise named Sheldon about 5 years ago, it is hard losing a tort.