Help! My Female Hermann's Tortoise is Rubbing Her Belly on the Carpet Non-Stop.

amymarie42779

Location (City and/or State)
MI
Has anyone every had a tortoise do this? I've had Kiwi for 6 months now. She is spoiled and cherished. I estimating her age to be about 4 years old. Earlier today, I soaked her in a warm bath thinking it may be constipation. She REALLY relieved herself, so I thought the problem was solved, but she is back to wiggling as she walks. Thank you. Kiwi's Video

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! How long did she do this for? And is it only on the carpet? Like wellington says, they shouldn’t be free roaming indoors

Maybe this thread I made below will be useful if there’s anything that needs tweaking set up wise🙂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Has anyone every had a tortoise do this? I've had Kiwi for 6 months now. She is spoiled and cherished. I estimating her age to be about 4 years old. Earlier today, I soaked her in a warm bath thinking it may be constipation. She REALLY relieved herself, so I thought the problem was solved, but she is back to wiggling as she walks. Thank you. Kiwi's Video
Show us a picture of Kiwis tail and anal scutes. I suspect she is a he.

amymarie42779

MI
Thank you for the previous comments and future pet coaching. It's greatly appreciated before I have to drop a couple hundred at a vet. I've included some additional pics. I let her roam the room that she's in for about 2 hours each day. In one of her pics that i ust took, she flipped over her couch and made it another hideout. Lol. I do have a male hermanns as well. He's a little shy of double her size. I don't let them interact with each other. He doesn't wiggle on the carpet. 1000011991.jpg

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I really hope you don’t mind me saying this(I promise it’s coming from a place of kindness) but there are multiple things that need addressing with the enclosure and roaming situation, I’m not saying that’s necessarily causing the wiggling you’re seeing, but it can and will lead to potential issues in the future😣
Everyone here wants people to have positive keeping experiences, so I hope you don’t take this the wrong way! It’s clear you care about your tortoises🐢💚

Hopefully this thread I posted further up might be helpful to you, it covers equipment, appropriate set up size, environmental levels and I include the reasoning behind why indoor free roaming is really not a good idea over time. The same information can be applied to your Herman set up too if anything needs adjusting there. Any further questions please do ask🥰

And yeah if you could upload the video like you did last time, that’d be great, we’ll check it out🙂

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I really hope you don’t mind me saying this(I promise it’s coming from a place of kindness) but there are multiple things that need addressing with the enclosure and roaming situation, I’m not saying that’s necessarily causing the wiggling you’re seeing, but it can and will lead to potential issues in the future😣
Everyone here wants people to have positive keeping experiences, so I hope you don’t take this the wrong way! It’s clear you care about your tortoises🐢💚

Hopefully this thread I posted further up might be helpful to you, it covers equipment, appropriate set up size, environmental levels and I include the reasoning behind why indoor free roaming is really not a good idea over time. The same information can be applied to your Herman set up too if anything needs adjusting there. Any further questions please do ask🥰

And yeah if you could upload the video like you did last time, that’d be great, we’ll check it out🙂
Ditto