HELP!!!!(not eating and color on shell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
RE: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RussianTortoiseCraze123 said:
sibi said:
The pic isn't really good, but if by "white" you mean the few specs shown in the pic, I really can't tell you what's with that. How old is you baby? Babies often sleep a lot; so, if what you mean is that he's always sleeping and has gone two or more days w/o eating and moving around, then there may be a problem. Before we go any further, is there any pic of his enclosure, and maybe a better, clearer pic. of your baby?

The lighter areas on his shell are the problem
sorry to pic is bad its my ipod and my camera takes a long time to import
He is eating again he hadnt eaten since tuesday night but now after i soaked him hes eating a big plate of yummy lettuce mustard green mazuri bell pepper and corn and yes ill try

tortadise said:
What is your hiding areas like for him? Could take a photo of the enclosure. What have you been trying to feed? Is he eating any worms or anything. Did you get a pothos plant in their for him. These guys can stress very easy at young age. They need lots of good places to hide. Is he using the moss you had in there at all?

ATM i have a log but he perfers to bury himself. I fee a variey of things form lettuces greens bell peppers mushrooms strawberrys mazuri and more. Ive tried to feed him mealworms but he wont eat them. I am hopin to get him one tom. ive just been really busy and havnt had time to get one. He doesn love to bury and sleep so thats a good sign
He just started eating again i think he just got nervous cause my dogs were being loud

Hi, A good pic would be grate. I wouldnt worry about getting bugs. If your wet substrate gets cold it that could be a big part of your delima. Its not going to want to do anything with a brite UVB. (filter it through pegboard or plants something to deminish the briteness. Hopfully its old and in-effective as that is way to strong for a very young baby emys. Use 2.2 if you must and filter it. Let me know its weigh and age and I can tell you much more. GOOD LUCK Vic Morgan

flem363636

5 Year Member
RussianTortoiseCraze123 said:
HELP!
my BBMT hatchling has not been eating latley and has this odd white coloring on his shell. Please help! im so worried ill post a pic if its needed please help :'(

Hurry there! So i am having the exact same problem as you with my BBMT concerning the color on the shell (my Lil guy does eat fine and seems ok personality wise). He even appears around the same size/age as yours (mines almost 2 months). Strange thing though, i have two in the same enclosure (not great temp house, but i was assured good enough, but the turtle table is built and getting pimped this week;), and only one has this. The lighting i have is a uvb coil 26w (raised about two fewer from cage as the strength is obv too high and my 13 popped on me so i had to make do with what was I'm stock), as well as a baking lamp (about the same height). It stats a good 80-85, the humidity gage in there sucks but it ranges an avg of about 60-80%. E mist allot with warm water, soak every other day, and i have a wondering Jew and pansy in there (larger better plants in big cage, alocasia, etc).

I have done tons of research and plenty if inquiries (inc my own thread here), i cant seem to get much in the way of experienced answers or advice specific to this prob/species.

Please let me know if you hear anything, or for both our babies sakes i hope someone helps you here!! ;) I've attached a pic of my guys so you can see for comparison...best of luck to you!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi flem363636:

The person just above your post, emysbreeder, is one of the most well-known emys breeders in the world, and we're lucky to have him here on the forum. You can believe whatever answers he gives you with confidence.

flem363636

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi flem363636:

The person just above your post, emysbreeder, is one of the most well-known emys breeders in the world, and we're lucky to have him here on the forum. You can believe whatever answers he gives you with confidence.

Thank you for the advice (all of you!), and I am sure on behalf of the thread starter too! ;) I have read alot of Vic's posts/background (I lurked for a while lol ;) so I def know you, and him, speak the truth! However I don't believe he responded to my original post so I continued to look for more answers.

I did finally hear back from the guy who breed my babies, he happens to be a director of vet services at one of the largest zoo's in the country, so we were very luck to buy from someone so reputable and knowledgeable! He noted he wasn't worried to much re: the coloring, but suggested that it appeared to be a buildup of keratin, and suggested that i try to rub an extremely thin layer of Vic's Vaporub on the shell and wipe of with paper towel, a couple times a week only. I recall reading something about that in other contexts but will give it a try here and let you all know.

Also, it seems the TF app on my phone won't let me upload photos, so here is the pic as promised of my babies!

20121030_174618.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Flem:

May I suggest that in the future, when you want to talk about YOUR babies, that you start your own thread. Its impolite to "hijack" someone else's thread to talk about your own tortoises or problems.

It is interesting that both you and the OP (Original Poster) have the same problem with the discoloration on the shell. Your picture is much better than RussianTortoiseCraze123's picture. It looks to me to be something external, that is, not physical but more environmental. Let us know if the Vick's VapoRub does anything. I've never heard of that before.

flem363636

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Flem:

May I suggest that in the future, when you want to talk about YOUR babies, that you start your own thread. Its impolite to "hijack" someone else's thread to talk about your own tortoises or problems.

It is interesting that both you and the OP (Original Poster) have the same problem with the discoloration on the shell. Your picture is much better than RussianTortoiseCraze123's picture. It looks to me to be something external, that is, not physical but more environmental. Let us know if the Vick's VapoRub does anything. I've never heard of that before.

I definitely agree and i did in fact start my own about a week or more ago, it didn't get half this attention though. Quite honestly i was not at all intending to hijack his thread, only to let him know both that he was not alone (i noticed more responses re:the eating issues he had, than the coloring) and hopefully there would be success in numbers with our respective issue. I personally would have loved it if he or anyone would have posted on my thread with the same prob, as i used every keyword i could imagine and couldn't find any others with a like prob. His thread was a blessing to see!

At any rate I'm off to buy some Vicks will let you know...

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
I think everybody on this thread who has mee or mep babies with these tiny white spots should just leave them alone! Mine started out with them and they seen to just be normal baby phenomena that go away as they grow up.
All the best,
Ron

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi flem363636:

Yvonne, Thanks for the kind words. I'm still getting use to posting here and will be glad to help anyway I can. So far the emys keepers seem to have a good understanding of truble shooting problums with keeping emys. I dont quite picture the white on the shell they are seeing. M.e.emys do go through some radical shell color changes from hatching to juvies and it changes quite quickly. It seems keeping the substrate moist can cause the tort. to get to cold. I like cypress mulch that is just damp not soaking wet in winter. I use "pockets of spag. moss" with cork bark placed over it. They like a tight fit under things and they can breath the warm "wet" air in the moss. Humidity is the magic bullett with these guy's. Like everyone else said, we need a clear picture. So yvonne, will have to meet some day sence we have known about each other over 20 years! Vic emysbreeder

flem363636 said:
emysemys said:
Hi flem363636:

Thank you for the advice (all of you!), and I am sure on behalf of the thread starter too! ;) I have read alot of Vic's posts/background (I lurked for a while lol ;) so I def know you, and him, speak the truth! However I don't believe he responded to my original post so I continued to look for more answers.

I did finally hear back from the guy who breed my babies, he happens to be a director of vet services at one of the largest zoo's in the country, so we were very luck to buy from someone so reputable and knowledgeable! He noted he wasn't worried to much re: the coloring, but suggested that it appeared to be a buildup of keratin, and suggested that i try to rub an extremely thin layer of Vic's Vaporub on the shell and wipe of with paper towel, a couple times a week only. I recall reading something about that in other contexts but will give it a try here and let you all know.

Also, it seems the TF app on my phone won't let me upload photos, so here is the pic as promised of my babies!
Hi, I think the shell Carapace's look fine. The growth lines look very normal. The color is just going through some natural color change that takes place with most but not all emys emys about half way through they can be kind-a moddled looking. There is nothing to wash off. I'll try to send a pic (first try) Vic emysbreeder

emysbreeder said:
emysemys said:
Hi flem363636:

Yvonne, Thanks for the kind words. I'm still getting use to posting here and will be glad to help anyway I can. So far the emys keepers seem to have a good understanding of truble shooting problums with keeping emys. I dont quite picture the white on the shell they are seeing. M.e.emys do go through some radical shell color changes from hatching to juvies and it changes quite quickly. It seems keeping the substrate moist can cause the tort. to get to cold. I like cypress mulch that is just damp not soaking wet in winter. I use "pockets of spag. moss" with cork bark placed over it. They like a tight fit under things and they can breath the warm "wet" air in the moss. Humidity is the magic bullett with these guy's. Like everyone else said, we need a clear picture. So yvonne, will have to meet some day sence we have known about each other over 20 years! Vic emysbreeder

flem363636 said:
emysemys said:
Hi flem363636:

Hi, I think the shell Carapace's look fine. The growth lines look very normal. The color is just going through some natural color change that takes place with most but not all emys emys about half way through they can be kind-a moddled looking. There is nothing to wash off. I'll try to send a pic (first try) Vic emysbreeder

YEA ! The pic worked! This same tortoise will be "brown" in a matter of weeks or a few months. "warm" is the word, and humid, these guys can live right on or close to the Equator. Vic pic of old plane brown tortoises! lol

Attachments

• DSCF1501.JPG
    DSCF1501.JPG
    757.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF1417.JPG
    DSCF1417.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 46

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
emysbreeder said:
emysemys said:
Hi flem363636:

flem363636 said:
emysemys said:
Hi flem363636:

emysbreeder said:
emysemys said:
Hi flem363636:

flem363636 said:
emysemys said:
Hi flem363636:

YEA ! The pic worked! This same tortoise will be "brown" in a matter of weeks or a few months. "warm" is the word, and humid, these guys can live right on or close to the Equator. Vic pic of old plane brown tortoises! lol

Woops, I posted some phayrei on the 2nd. pic. Thumbnail pic! I cant see them good anymore. I'll post another sence I'm on! emysbreeder

Status
Not open for further replies.