Help please, box turtle dying

Hzwolun

Location (City and/or State)
Fairfax County VA
微信图片_20220101231617.jpg微信图片_20220101231642.jpg微信图片_20220101231633.jpg

Well, he/she came to me as a weak baby, I was trying to save him/her by keeping the indoor enclosure temp between 28-31 degrees. I also used reptile vitamin and reboost+.
Today when I got back the box turtle was bleeding?(not sure) the plastron was always caved in, he/she is not active like other boxes baby, but do eat like there is no tomorrow.
The poop: some of them are healthy/some of them are whiteish(which is not healthy). I know is gastroenteritis just don't know what else I can do.
Please tell me what I have to do to save this little guy. From my past experience, they all ended up dead.
I tried. Thanks

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I'm so sorry he's sick but thanks for trying to save him.
I don't know much about box turtles but could the white poop you've seen be urates?
I wouldn't give too many vitamins if he's eating OK, and only a tiny pinch of calcium a couple of times a week is needed.
It may be too late too late for this little one if he has septicaemia, but @zovick @ZenHerper may be able to help.

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
View attachment 338454View attachment 338455View attachment 338453

Well, he/she came to me as a weak baby, I was trying to save him/her by keeping the indoor enclosure temp between 28-31 degrees. I also used reptile vitamin and reboost+.
Today when I got back the box turtle was bleeding?(not sure) the plastron was always caved in, he/she is not active like other boxes baby, but do eat like there is no tomorrow.
The poop: some of them are healthy/some of them are whiteish(which is not healthy). I know is gastroenteritis just don't know what else I can do.
Please tell me what I have to do to save this little guy. From my past experience, they all ended up dead.
I tried. Thanks
Unfortunately, the turtle does show signs of fairly severe septicemia and may have MBD as well. At this point, it appears to have reached the point of irreversibility. The most humane thing to do for this baby would most likely be euthanasia (assuming it has survived until the morning of 2 January 2022).