Help save our baby turtle

Yumna

Location (City and/or State)
Pakistan, Asia
Hi, we recently got 2 baby turtles having no idea how to deal with them. Since they came they aren't eating anything at all. We tried giving them lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cabbage but they refuse to eat probably cuz of the change of environment. Mysteriously the male tort died last night (when bought he was active but got weak before dying) We only got one left and we can't let her die. We got a fish tank for them with huge rocks for them to sit on but we take them out to the tub as well. Unfortunately today the female tort pooed transparent worms and right after I could see liquid red blood. She literally hasn't eaten anything we got no clue what we could do. Taking to vet is probably not possible right now. Please guide us to save the female. We don't know the specie and age. Please help

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Really . . . , you got two tort's, have NO idea what they are, or how old they are.
With out that info, How do you even know how to care for them? You have lost one already, and the other could be on death's door. Show us pictures of your tort, and the enclosure your keeping it in. How long have you had them? Where did you get them from?
With out some of this info, it makes it VERY hard to try to help you save the last one.
How do you know they are male & female. Typically it takes years to make that determination.
If you can get us this info, we can try figuring out what has happened.
I'm praying for your last Tort.
Sorry if I'm being too blunt...

ryan57

PA
Hi, we recently got 2 baby tortoises having no idea how to deal with them. Since they came they aren't eating anything at all. We tried giving them lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cabbage but they refuse to eat probably cuz of the change of environment. Mysteriously the male tort died last night (when bought he was active but got weak before dying) We only got one left and we can't let her die. We got a fish tank for them with huge rocks for them to sit on but we take them out to the tub as well. Unfortunately today the female tort pooed transparent worms and right after I could see liquid red blood. She literally hasn't eaten anything we got no clue what we could do. Taking to vet is probably not possible right now. Please guide us to save the female. We don't know the specie and age. Please help
Assuming you have tortoises...

Im sure an experienced expert will chime in soon but from my reading a vet would prescribe something (antibiotics) for the worms but pumpkin is also a dewormer (if it were eating). Canned pumpkin probably.

Making sure temperature and humidity are correct is paramount for babies. 80% or more humidity and 80 degrees or more in a closed chamber.

For tonight, raise the temps above 80deg everywhere in the tank by covering the tank, lights and all with aluminum foil. NOW!!!

Regardless of the substrate you are using, pour some water in there so the humidity will be high and don't let the temp below 80. Watch that the temps do not go too high like into the mid 90's. It can be 95-105 directly under the light but not much more. Mine is constantly >80% humidity and a constant 84 degrees. The wattage of the bulb can be adjusted appropriately so you can leave it on all the time. Tonight you may have to turn on and off until you can get to a store tomorrow. I would recommend an appropriate wattage ceramic non light producing emitter or CRE because it will let the tortoise sleep in peace at night at the right temp.

I feel your pain and just went through this a couple months ago so I know how worrisome it is.
IMG_1903.jpg

Assuming you can do what this tortoise needs and it survives, you need to 1) identify what you have by posting photos and 2) once that is known, read everything on this forum for beginners and care guides including diet for the tortoise you have.

Last edited:

Yumna

Pakistan, Asia
Really . . . , you got two tort's, have NO idea what they are, or how old they are.
With out that info, How do you even know how to care for them? You have lost one already, and the other could be on death's door. Show us pictures of your tort, and the enclosure your keeping it in. How long have you had them? Where did you get them from?
With out some of this info, it makes it VERY hard to try to help you save the last one.
How do you know they are male & female. Typically it takes years to make that determination.
If you can get us this info, we can try figuring out what has happened.
I'm praying for your last Tort.
Sorry if I'm being too blunt...
I was given them as a gift and I wasn't told their age, specie. He got them from a pet store I think and the store keeper were stupid they didn't provide info and kept them in a water filled fish tank. I think we got them ill in the first place. We got them a day before yesterday and it was meant to be a surprise so we had no clue how to handle. The person who got us thought they live long and it would be easy to take care. I'm pretty sure even if we didn't get them they would have died in the shop

ryan57

PA
I was given them as a gift and I wasn't told their age, specie. He got them from a pet store I think and the store keeper were stupid they didn't provide info and kept them in a water filled fish tank. I think we got them ill in the first place. We got them a day before yesterday and it was meant to be a surprise so we had no clue how to handle. The person who got us thought they live long and it would be easy to take care. I'm pretty sure even if we didn't get them they would have died in the shop
Sounds like you may have semi-aquatic turtles. Tortoises are land dwelling and would have drown.

Still need to ensure that the temps are in the 80's as measured with a probe or temperature gun.
They sell small pellets for semi aquatic turtles. When they are babies, most species also like fish flakes.

ryan57

PA
water temp should be low 80's, 90 or above on basking rock. Put in shallow 80 degree water for a while with some fish flakes ASAP. Looks like a:

Baby Eastern Mud Turtle

You need a general tropical fish tank/filter setup and it should eat frozen bloodworms (after thawing in warm water) and the previously mentioned baby turtle pellets.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's a water turtle
They can only eat in the water and they eat tiny fish, shrimp, insects and some plant material.
(I'm not sure what pet turtle food is available in Pakistan)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can buy pelleted turtle food online. See if you can find something like this:

Like Zeropilot said, they can only eat in water. ANd he needs to be kept warm.

I don't know what species your turtle is, but if it's a native turtle from Pakistan it may be a mud turtle:

Yumna

Pakistan, Asia
You can buy pelleted turtle food online. See if you can find something like this:

Like Zeropilot said, they can only eat in water. ANd he needs to be kept warm.

I don't know what species your turtle is, but if it's a native turtle from Pakistan it may be a mud turtle:

Thank you very much. Unfortunately she has passed away this morning but will keep everything in mind when getting another someday. With all the advices I got she survived 24 more hours. Thank u everyone

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, I'm so very sorry to hear that.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
sorry about your turtles ...... my first thought seeing the pic is batagur ...... as said either mud or batagur , very aquatic turtle ....

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
water temp should be low 80's, 90 or above on basking rock. Put in shallow 80 degree water for a while with some fish flakes ASAP. Looks like a:

Baby Eastern Mud Turtle

You need a general tropical fish tank/filter setup and it should eat frozen bloodworms (after thawing in warm water) and the previously mentioned baby turtle pellets.
Brown roofed turtles

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
So sorry for your loss. my turtle didnt eat anything until the parasites were removed. he was loaded with one that basically filled his entire esophagus. He also vomited and pooped blood until they were gone.From the pic of the stool it looks like they have gone untreated and flourished. you can see a really big one in there..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Assuming you have tortoises...

Im sure an experienced expert will chime in soon but from my reading a vet would prescribe something (antibiotics) for the worms but pumpkin is also a dewormer (if it were eating). Canned pumpkin probably.

Making sure temperature and humidity are correct is paramount for babies. 80% or more humidity and 80 degrees or more in a closed chamber.

For tonight, raise the temps above 80deg everywhere in the tank by covering the tank, lights and all with aluminum foil. NOW!!!

Regardless of the substrate you are using, pour some water in there so the humidity will be high and don't let the temp below 80. Watch that the temps do not go too high like into the mid 90's. It can be 95-105 directly under the light but not much more. Mine is constantly >80% humidity and a constant 84 degrees. The wattage of the bulb can be adjusted appropriately so you can leave it on all the time. Tonight you may have to turn on and off until you can get to a store tomorrow. I would recommend an appropriate wattage ceramic non light producing emitter or CRE because it will let the tortoise sleep in peace at night at the right temp.

I feel your pain and just went through this a couple months ago so I know how worrisome it is.
View attachment 346902

Assuming you can do what this tortoise needs and it survives, you need to 1) identify what you have by posting photos and 2) once that is known, read everything on this forum for beginners and care guides including diet for the tortoise you have.
This enclosure in the pic is so very wrong. Please correct your own too.

ryan57

PA
Yeah. I’ll get right on it. 5mo 265g smooth shell says differently.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah. I’ll get right on it. 5mo 265g smooth shell says differently.
Walking on a slippery wood floor is bad for his legs and dangerous if it's the whole house or a room that is not a designated area just for him. Being smooth is not the only important care issue!!!
Also if that is just a hide box with heat, it's too low to the tortoise.
So yea, you really should get right on it!!!

Yumna

Pakistan, Asia
So sorry for your loss. my turtle didnt eat anything until the parasites were removed. he was loaded with one that basically filled his entire esophagus. He also vomited and pooped blood until they were gone.From the pic of the stool it looks like they have gone untreated and flourished. you can see a really big one in there..
Omg that's terrible. The same thing happened with her too. Too bad we couldn't take her to a vet that time and we were told they were tortoises when they actually were turtles :(