HELP!! Sulcatas NOT EATING!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

808hammer

5 Year Member
Please help. I've got 2salcutas. I moved them to a new home, and they haven't eaten since then. It's been about 2 weeks and my girlfriend and I are getting worried.

Their old home was a 55 gallon fish tank with a single heat lamp on it, and we just used newspaper on the bottom. Their new home is a custom 2 story box with sand that we got from the beach. I told my girlfriend we should acclimate them first, but she insisted we put them in right away, after all, they are her pets.

At first they started eatting the sand, and that would be the last thing we see them eat. We haven't seen them eat any more sand since then, but I think I'd rather see them eating something than nothing.

We've soaked them a few times since they lost their appetite, but they didn't the drink water like they normally would. I put food in their box everyday but it doesn't sell. Their usual diet was T-Rex tortoise food and romaine lettuce which they seemed to love before.

Please, any insight will be very helpful. Thanks.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
RE: HELP!! Salcutas NOT EATING!!

My fear is that they have become impacted from eating the straight sand. I hope you removed the sand, once you saw them eating it. Have they had any bowel movements since you saw them eating sand? First thing I would do is give them several soaks each day. Long soaks (make sure the water is kept warm and not allowed to get chilled). I would also use something like carrot. sweet potato or squash baby food in the water. You might try with some canned pumpkin (make sure it is pure pumkin) and see if they will eat this. If the sand is the problem, we need to keep them hydrated to help them pass the sand. The pumpkin will also loosen them up inside and make it easier to hopefully clean the sand out too.

What are the temps in the enclosure? Down at their level in the substrate and at the hottest point which would be under the UVB light and also under a heat source if you have one. Are you using a temp gun or what to see the temps? Are they acting otherwise normal? What kind of light are you using and how long is it on for? These questions are to make sure it's not just the sand that is the problem, but it could be the enclosure is not at the best of temps or lighting.

The third option is, they are both just a bit stressed from the move and not eating yet. This would be the one I hope for, but also the one I think is not happening here, especially given the time factor.

I am thinking you need to be locating a good Vet to take them to.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi 808hammer, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm with Jacqui on this one. Beach sand is not the same thing as desert sand. It might contain salts that regular dirt/sand doesn't contain. Sand is known to cause impaction. It would be a very good thing to find a tortoise vet and get a radiograph of both tortoises to be sure they aren't impacted. Meanwhile, warm soaks like Jacqui suggested.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona

Change your substrate. Continue and increase your soaks. Maybe put them back in the old enclosure until they're back on track. Please take the time to read Toms stickies at the top of the sulcata section. Tom offers guidelines that are up to date and based in years of practical breeding/raising.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ

Follow the advice of Jacqui and cowboy. It is very sound advice. I hope your Sullys get better soon :(

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

I also agree with Jacqui. Were you offering water in the enclosure? Also. The lights on the sand can get very hot. Hotter then other substrate. Did you provide a hide box? Im guessing they are possibly impacted and probably dehydrated as well..as you have been advised, I would also suggest soaking a few times a day..and a vet visit...

808hammer

5 Year Member
Thank you all. I'll start making changes today as soon as i get home from work. But to answer some of your questions- they've pooped a few times since eating sand, and some sand did come out. I threw in a few sheets of sod to cover the sand for now, but they're still acting weird (hardly moving around). As far as the temperature, I haven't checked, but they seem to spend most of the time directly under the lamps. We try putting food right next to them, with no success. And we've put water in there but didn't seem to go down. I'll keep you all updated on their status.

-Thanks again

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi & welcome:). Like everyone said get rid of the sand. The enclosure sounds great I'd love to see pictures:)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Part of the problem could be they just are not warm enough. 2 things make me think this; they spend lots of time under the basking light,( staying warm).
And the hiding part. When an animal is not feeling up to par, often times they will hide knowing they are easy prey items should something come along. Guessing what the temps are is insufficient. You must be able to quantify your temps with real numbers.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would suggest you finding a thermometer in your house somewhere...and place that directly under the basking light for about 20 minutes and see what temp you get....then do the same in the opposite end so you can get an "idea" of what temps you are running...it may be entirely too cold or too hot....temps play a huge role in the function of a tort....

Also, would get rid of the sand right away...also, I would not use beach sand--no telling what type of ticks/fleas and other nasty critters that live in it ---on top of the increased impaction hazard....

Soak, soak soak and check your temps with any type of thermometer you can get your hands on as soon as possible....this type of temp reading will be a "idea" and will only be a gauge for you---you can get your hands on a more appropriate thermometer ....

808hammer

5 Year Member
OK guys. Bully and Rascal seem to be doing better. Got them soaked, but still not eating. They do seem more active though, and they pooped!! All sand though. The sand is gonna have to sit till the weekend, its been a busy week. Meanwhile, heres some pics. Camera sucks though.

image-3487494834.png

image-2291251562.png

808hammer

5 Year Member
Oh, forgot to mention, I checked the temp, and it was crazy hot! 120+. I adjusted the light soon after.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
How are the babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.