Help!!!!!!! sully

kball

I just got a 3 1/2 inch sulcata he's about 10 months? He has a respitory infection and I can't take him to the vet because my mom thinks he'll live through it and there's no getting to her I ask the lady I got him off of and she said she had no idea that he was eating and growing fine with her. I believe her because she really wanted what was best for the tortoises and we have talked and we think that it might be because he was cold when I got he was shipped and maybe he got sick then. Can anyone tell me what I can do to make him feel better he's in a about 40 gallon tank with foil on top. The cool side stays about 88 the warm side/ basking temp is about 100-110 and the night temps r set to if it gets under 80 the Che will kick on and warm it up. The humidity is about 90 on the cool side and 70 on the warm side. Thanks in advance.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Respiratory infections won't happen overnight. So this has been an issue for a while. The same will go for getting him over it. It won't happen over night. Keep those temps up and you should see it subside. One thing that I am curious about though is the drop in the humidity from one side to the next. It should be the same in the entire enclosure. Also how are you reading your temps. Could we get a photo of the enclosure too?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A lot of the time when a tortoise has runny nose symptoms it really isn't a R.I. The only way to know for sure it to take a smear and look at it under the microscope.

When a tortoise is stressed out, for instance, when made to move house, he will have runny nose symptoms. I don't do anything about that other than to keep him warm and let him be a tortoise. Don't handle him. Give him a dedicated space, and leave him alone.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

kball

A lot of the time when a tortoise has runny nose symptoms it really isn't a R.I. The only way to know for sure it to take a smear and look at it under the microscope.

When a tortoise is stressed out, for instance, when made to move house, he will have runny nose symptoms. I don't do anything about that other than to keep him warm and let him be a tortoise. Don't handle him. Give him a dedicated space, and leave him alone.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif
Thanks. He's doing better today so the May be the prob

kball

Respiratory infections won't happen overnight. So this has been an issue for a while. The same will go for getting him over it. It won't happen over night. Keep those temps up and you should see it subside. One thing that I am curious about though is the drop in the humidity from one side to the next. It should be the same in the entire enclosure. Also how are you reading your temps. Could we get a photo of the enclosure too?[/QUOTE/]
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407337638.050393.jpg