Aequor

Location (City and/or State)
Europe
I have recently got a small leopard tortoise, she is I think about 6 months-1 year old based on her size.
It's been five days since she was purchased, but she hasn't eaten, we gave her types of organic greens. She's only been drinking, which made her go from 157 to 173 grams as of today. I was hoping it's just the stress of a new place making her not eat, but I feel it's taking too long.
Tomorrow we are buying the grassland tortoise food pellets, which I believe she was fed. Is there any way to get her going on fresh greens?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
How is the enclosure set up? Temperature and humidity. The air temp should be at least 80 degrees, with a basking spot of 100 to 105 degrees. I would try to get the humidity to around 80 percent.
I don’t have a leopard, but have a sulcata and the care is about the same.
It will take some time for her to adjust to her new environment. Double check your temps and humidity.

Aequor

Europe
thanks! the humidity and temperature should be okay, I am following almost exactly those numbers. I more want to know if its possible to get a tortoise going on something that it didn't really have before? if she was fed no fresh greens, is she going to accept it sometime?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thanks! the humidity and temperature should be okay, I am following almost exactly those numbers. I more want to know if its possible to get a tortoise going on something that it didn't really have before? if she was fed no fresh greens, is she going to accept it sometime?
This tortoise has grown to 150+ grams with no greens of any kind ever? Why would anybody do that?

If temperature and lighting are correct, then you probably need to be feeding whatever the tortoise is used to eating, and gradually begin mixing in new and better foods.

Are you keeping the tortoise warm at night? Are you using a cfl type UV bulb? What size is the enclosure? What substrate? I'm asking all the questions to eliminate all the possibilities of what might be causing a problem.

Have you seen this care sheet? You mind find some useful info in it that would help figure out this problem:

Aequor

Europe
Thank you all! Got what they were feeding and she started eating, I'll try get her going on greens.

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada
This tortoise has grown to 150+ grams with no greens of any kind ever? Why would anybody do that?

If temperature and lighting are correct, then you probably need to be feeding whatever the tortoise is used to eating, and gradually begin mixing in new and better foods.

Are you keeping the tortoise warm at night? Are you using a cfl type UV bulb? What size is the enclosure? What substrate? I'm asking all the questions to eliminate all the possibilities of what might be causing a problem.

Have you seen this care sheet? You mind find some useful info in it that would help figure out this problem:
Tom can you please go look at my soft shell post and look at my tortoise I want to have your opinion if you think he might make it or not

herpivore

Madison, WI
Thank you all! Got what they were feeding and she started eating, I'll try get her going on greens.
Finely chop (bite size for your tortoise) good grocery store greens and/or untreated weeds/plants from outside. Meanwhile, soak some tortoise food pellets in hot water (smash them if they don't turn to mush on their own), then add the tortoise pellet food mush to the chopped greens, add a dash of calcium with vitamin D (and vitamin powder once or twice weekly), and stir/shake/mix it all up.
That's how I always get young tortoises & poorly-fed rescues to eat.
Just start with what the tortoise is currently eating, and mix in a little of the new stuff. Every 2-3 days, increase the "good stuff", and if temperature & humidity are ideal, the tortoise should adapt to its new diet.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Have you tried mazuri? I know babcocki can be more shy and take some time to adjust. My pardalis will eat anything.