Helping picking out new tortoise

NewTortoiseMember

Hi, I am new to this forum and I wanted to know what kind of tortoise I should get. I live in Houston Texas so it is very hot during the summer and it is humid. What type of tortoises can do good in the backyard?
Thanks

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome. All tortoises, once grown should be outside. Read the care guides in the species specific sections, so you know what care each requires. Are you think small? Russian, Greek, hermanns, or medium, leopard, redfoot? Then their is large Sulcata, aldabra...

NewTortoiseMember

I could do a medium to large tortoise. It really depends on which tortoise can survive the Houston, Texas climate. I've always had the impression that high humidity is bad, but it is important at night for hatchlings. Here in Houston we have humidity and when it rains it rains a lot, but we also have our days where there is no rain.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Humidity is not the evil it was thought to be. It is important they are warm, some more than others, when humidity is high. During bad weather they have to have someplace warm n safe from flooding. A lot of people in TX keep sulcatas.

NewTortoiseMember

Right now I am in between a sulcata tortoise or a leopard tortoise.. Which one do you think has a better personality ?

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I raise sulcata's and I love them but these tortoise get 200 plus pounds. Most people do not really under stand the commitment to these tortoises. I hope you enjoy your choice and it does not becomes a burden. Good luck

NewTortoiseMember

All my animals are no burden to me. From leopard geckos, to fishes and to my dog now the next step is a tortoise since I've always loved tortoises since I was a kid. The only problem I would have is trying to pickup the tortoise if it were to get sick to take it to the vet. Other than that lot of research to do whether I get a leopard or a Sulcata. Thanks!