Helpp, my hermanns tortoise

jodiecooper2011

Location (City and/or State)
Hertfordshire
Hi,

I have a hermanns tortoise called Toby iv had him for a month. He was hatched in 2023

He's eating, pooing, weeing being normal and active around his enclosure.

The past few days his right eye is closed I have tried to give him warm soaks but nothing is working. His skin seems dry and flaky

I was wondering what it could be

Thankyou

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Can you post a photo of him and his eyes close-up? Where do you keep him - inside or outside? If inside - what heating/lightning do you use?

jodiecooper2011

Hertfordshire
Hello! Can you post a photo of him and his eyes close-up? Where do you keep him - inside or outside? If inside - what heating/lightning do you use?
Hi,

I will get a photo of him and his eye tomorrow.
He is kept indoors and he has a exo terra solar glo 3 in 1 Mercury vapour bulb - the reptile shop I got him from said the bulb is ok I just need to change it every 6 months

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi,

I will get a photo of him and his eye tomorrow.
He is kept indoors and he has a exo terra solar glo 3 in 1 Mercury vapour bulb - the reptile shop I got him from said the bulb is ok I just need to change it every 6 months
Okay, while we are waiting for the photos, a few more follow-up questions:
1. What kind of substrate do you use? If it's dry substrate with sand mixed-in - sand grains can cause eye irritation.
2. What wattage is the mercury vapour bulb and what distance from tortoise/substrate? When they are placed too low this can affect eyes too, but usually both eyes not one.