Helpp, my hermanns tortoise

jodiecooper2011

Location (City and/or State)
Hertfordshire
Hi,

I have a hermanns tortoise called Toby iv had him for a month. He was hatched in 2023

He's eating, pooing, weeing being normal and active around his enclosure.

The past few days his right eye is closed I have tried to give him warm soaks but nothing is working. His skin seems dry and flaky

I was wondering what it could be

Thankyou

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Can you post a photo of him and his eyes close-up? Where do you keep him - inside or outside? If inside - what heating/lightning do you use?

jodiecooper2011

Hertfordshire
Hello! Can you post a photo of him and his eyes close-up? Where do you keep him - inside or outside? If inside - what heating/lightning do you use?
Hi,

I will get a photo of him and his eye tomorrow.
He is kept indoors and he has a exo terra solar glo 3 in 1 Mercury vapour bulb - the reptile shop I got him from said the bulb is ok I just need to change it every 6 months

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi,

I will get a photo of him and his eye tomorrow.
He is kept indoors and he has a exo terra solar glo 3 in 1 Mercury vapour bulb - the reptile shop I got him from said the bulb is ok I just need to change it every 6 months
Okay, while we are waiting for the photos, a few more follow-up questions:
1. What kind of substrate do you use? If it's dry substrate with sand mixed-in - sand grains can cause eye irritation.
2. What wattage is the mercury vapour bulb and what distance from tortoise/substrate? When they are placed too low this can affect eyes too, but usually both eyes not one.

jodiecooper2011

Hertfordshire
Okay, while we are waiting for the photos, a few more follow-up questions:
1. What kind of substrate do you use? If it's dry substrate with sand mixed-in - sand grains can cause eye irritation.
2. What wattage is the mercury vapour bulb and what distance from tortoise/substrate? When they are placed too low this can affect eyes too, but usually both eyes not one.
It's one from pets at home it has a mixture of topsoil, sand and limestone I will attach a picture.

The wattage of the bulb is 125 wattage and the reptile place said to have it 12 inches from the substrate/tortoise.

There's always mixed views online and different people say different suggestions with lighting, substrate, etc Hopefully with help on here I can make everything perfect for him

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240821_222748_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240821_222748_Samsung Internet.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's one from pets at home it has a mixture of topsoil, sand and limestone I will attach a picture.

The wattage of the bulb is 125 wattage and the reptile place said to have it 12 inches from the substrate/tortoise.

There's always mixed views online and different people say different suggestions with lighting, substrate, etc Hopefully with help on here I can make everything perfect for him
You've been given the usual terrible pet shop advice and sold the wrong product for a tortoise. I know how frustrating this must be, but I hope we can help. Start here. This thread will explain a LOT. Questions are welcome and so are you.

jodiecooper2011

Hertfordshire
Brilliant thankyou, so much information I will change a few things in his enclosure and hopefully he will get better. Could the substrate cause his eye to close

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

At 12 inches it gives too much UVB for a young Hermann's tortoise and basking area temperature is probably not enough, at the same time. At the basking area you need 95-100F and UV index 3-4. You can achieve these numbers when using a combination of flood type incandescent lamp (Arcadia Solar Basking Floodlight is preferred but ExoTerra Daylight Basking Spot or Flukers Basking Spot lamp will work too) and T5 fluorescent tube for UVB (Arcadia ProT5 Desert 12% or ZooMed Reptisun 10.0). You can get them from SwellReptile, for example.

The substrate can be the reason of irritated eye. Just plain coco coir or orchid bark are better options. Get sterile saline solution from a nearby pharmacy and gently flush the eye, this may help if substrate is the reason.

jodiecooper2011

Hertfordshire
At 12 inches it gives too much UVB for a young Hermann's tortoise and basking area temperature is probably not enough, at the same time. At the basking area you need 95-100F and UV index 3-4. You can achieve these numbers when using a combination of flood type incandescent lamp (Arcadia Solar Basking Floodlight is preferred but ExoTerra Daylight Basking Spot or Flukers Basking Spot lamp will work too) and T5 fluorescent tube for UVB (Arcadia ProT5 Desert 12% or ZooMed Reptisun 10.0). You can get them from SwellReptile, for example.

The substrate can be the reason of irritated eye. Just plain coco coir or orchid bark are better options. Get sterile saline solution from a nearby pharmacy and gently flush the eye, this may help if substrate is the reason.
Thankyou, is this ok to use as I'm going to change his enclosure so ordering everything straight away

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240821_230438_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240821_230438_Samsung Internet.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 1