Hermann Hatchling

Gery

We have recently experienced a one inch Hermanns hatchling coming to live with us -- two weeks ago. Questions: How fast do they grow? She(?) is now eating dandelion and romain. I need to get her to eat the prepared foods with minerals, etc.? Any advice? Do they really eat geranium, as we have a garden full? She seems to drink only when in the bath; how do I get her to use her water bowl? She will eat dandelion, etc when placed in front of her , but does not use her food dish, which is flat and stable? I would be grateful for any advice.

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Hi and welcome. Where did you get him? Ask what they were feeding. I soak mine 20-30 minutes everyday. I have a Dalmatian Herrmann. His favorite food is radiccio ( not sure on spelling) , I feed him, endive, beet tops, carrot tops, Dandelion, kale , water cress, cilantro, escrole , and some types of lettuce but I limit them. He is 2 inches 28 grams. He will be 2 months on April 2nd.

Blkjkoknhrt

Check yer temps - 95F for hot, 80F for middle, and 72F for cool. Soaking is good, water, drinking, bathroom break, socialization etc. Get a infrared temp gun $40 at a good pet store and point it at everything. Mist the tank lightly once a day, you want it pretty dry by the end of day when lights go off - 12 to 14hrs a day. I use upside down 3" clay plant saucers for food dishes and another clay for water. Feed small amounts often and variety now will mean a less fussy tort later. Stick to one or two supplements, read the labels one may be all calcium and another vites and minerals, amino acids etc. Use cuttlebone or calcium carbonate and all supplements VERY LIGHTLY but several times a week. Tortoises don't like medicin-y or gritty food either.
That's what I've learned in 4 months. Check out some care sheets, you'll soon see the ones that agree with each other and that make common sense. REMEMBER, very sensitive to external surroundings, keep thing calm, unchanging and routine
Good luck, seeyou in the forums

Attachments

• IMG_1154.JPG
    IMG_1154.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 27

Gery

Hot Zone.jpg Thanks for your advice already! Attached are pictures of our habitat: warm zone-82 degrees; cool zone-72 degrees. I currently have a 150 watt ceramic infrared heat emitter and a 100 watt power sun uv lamp. I am not satisfied with the heat, so I have ordered light stands which will allow me to hang the lamps lower (closer) than the wire cage that they currently sit upon. Our girl gets a bath for 15-20 minutes daily, in which case she drinks and then poops. She has wheat grass growing in the habitat. We feed her dandelion which she loves, romaine, collard greens, etc. She has no interest in the prepared foods. She seems to be interested in the cuttlebone but unable to bite it. Her food dish is an upside down small dish, but she has no interest. She eats what we place in front of her.

Blkjkoknhrt

Looks good, Man! Checkout my new (2 week) set up

Attachments

• IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 41

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Is your enclosure all open? Babies need humidity. You can get a temp/humidity gage at Amazon for about $10. $15 for a temperature gun. You will be amazed what they can do with the cuttle bone. Mine drags it around. You can use tin foil to cover the top of the enclosure.

Blkjkoknhrt

It's totally open, but I monitor the humidity day and night. It's not the 80% required by some caresheets, but does hit the 30 - to 70% reported in the forums. He also gets a steady "rain" for 5 to 10 minutes almost every morning, and I see him drink, bathe and urinate in and around the waterdish. Yesm, I spot clean LOL.
Unfortunately, he dines on a lot of high water foods, so I do believe he's as hydrated as needs be, and the open top allows for the fresh ventilation across the surface area.
Check out the pic, silver bar is dlb gro-fluorescents, black bar is 24" UVB fluorescent, spots 100W and 50W

Attachments

• IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 36