Hermanns tortoise - pyramiding??

Megang97

Location (City and/or State)
Portsmouth, uk
I’m new to the whole tortoise things and wanted some advise! With my juvenile Hermanns tortoise I’ve had a few issues getting his vivarium temperatures right and I’ve seen this can cause pyramiding - they’re fine now (26 degrees, 28, 32 and 35 under his basking lamp)

does it look like he’s starting pyramiding or is he okay? It’s hard to tell but his shell seems very smooth to me - open to any advice and second opinions ☺️

Attachments

• 66025E6C-4AE2-4F10-99D5-15D4C2141960.jpeg
    66025E6C-4AE2-4F10-99D5-15D4C2141960.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 117
  • 94BC9D51-DAF4-41EC-8C9E-60F11CC23C6D.jpeg
    94BC9D51-DAF4-41EC-8C9E-60F11CC23C6D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It looks like there a few years of age with no pyramiding at all. It is difficult to see if the newer growth is the start of pyramiding or not. I would guess not, as part of how pyramiding occurs is for new scute (keratin) to de-form the underlying bone. I would think by this size the underlying bone is well established. Unlike babies that have poorly developed shell bone.

Megang97

Portsmouth, uk
It looks like there a few years of age with no pyramiding at all. It is difficult to see if the newer growth is the start of pyramiding or not. I would guess not, as part of how pyramiding occurs is for new scute (keratin) to de-form the underlying bone. I would think by this size the underlying bone is well established. Unlike babies that have poorly developed shell bone.

Ah okay that’s good news! I just want to make sure he’s healthy and happy☺️ I understands it’s hard to tell so young but it seems smooth

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ah okay that’s good news! I just want to make sure he’s healthy and happy☺ I understands it’s hard to tell so young but it seems smooth
Why do you think your tortoise is "so young"? The tortoise does not look all that young. It is probably at least 8 or 10 years old looking at the shell. IE, it's older than you think, just small. There is no pyramiding so far.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Why do you think your tortoise is "so young"? The tortoise does not look all that young. It is probably at least 8 or 10 years old looking at the shell. IE, it's older than you think, just small. There is no pyramiding so far.
I was about to ask the same thing. It doesn't look like a juvenile to me. @Megang97 - do you know for sure how old it is?

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
I'm not sure. Has he been acting like a normal Hermann's tortoise would? I don't want to be suspicious of the breeder but are you sure it is only 20 months? Maybe it has a shell problem or something? I'm no expert, but from what the other really experienced TFO members have said, it could be way more than 20 months. It could just look older but it's a difficult subject. I don't see any signs of pyramiding but that weird age thing is something to look into.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
It’s not bad but at first glance it looks much older. I might even say the early growth makes it look like a wild caught animal but it doesn’t mean anything. Looks can be deceiving but so can sellers ?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
It’s not bad but at first glance it looks much older. I might even say the early growth makes it look like a wild caught animal but it doesn’t mean anything. Looks can be deceiving but so can sellers ?
The earlier growth also looks worn..which is a typical sign of age...especially in a wild caught animal as it rubs against corse vegetation. Just giving you the characteristics that made us question the age.

Megang97

Portsmouth, uk
I'm not sure. Has he been acting like a normal Hermann's tortoise would? I don't want to be suspicious of the breeder but are you sure it is only 20 months? Maybe it has a shell problem or something? I'm no expert, but from what the other really experienced TFO members have said, it could be way more than 20 months. It could just look older but it's a difficult subject. I don't see any signs of pyramiding but that weird age thing is something to look into.
He’s my first so it’s hard to say, he’s been very active and I’ve had no problems with him at all really. The breeder did let us chose and my other half obviously chose the one “which didn’t have as nice a shell” so maybe we just got the unique one? I’m the in the process of looking into a vet who specifically looks at tortoises to give him a check up anyway and I will see what they say.
Thank you☺️

Megang97

Portsmouth, uk
The earlier growth also looks worn..which is a typical sign of age...especially in a wild caught animal as it rubs against corse vegetation. Just giving you the characteristics that made us question the age.
Ah okay fine, being completely honest we did chose the one “which didn’t have as nice a shell” as his siblings so maybe he was just the unlucky one? as mentioned below, I am in the process or finding an exotic vet so he can have a general check and I will see what they say. Paperwork all seems in order etc.
maybe he is older (which is fine) but means I’ll be having a chat with the breeder re their paperwork?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Hi, what is this torts measurements. I agree it looks a bit older than you say but looks dont mean everything, I think part of it is the pics make it look bigger than it is.

The only issue I see is that the shell looks a little dry. How is this little one housed?

Megang97

Portsmouth, uk
Hi, what is this torts measurements. I agree it looks a bit older than you say but looks dont mean everything, I think part of it is the pics make it look bigger than it is.

The only issue I see is that the shell looks a little dry. How is this little one housed?
I’ll measure him properly when I get in but he’s roughly about 3 inches I’d say.

hes housed in vivarium 6ft by 3ft or maybe by 2ft - his substrate is damp and humid and he’s soaked about 3 times a week☺️

Megang97

Portsmouth, uk
This might be a better picture of his size

Attachments

• F20AC3CB-CDBC-40E1-B57C-C63668D8569B.jpeg
    F20AC3CB-CDBC-40E1-B57C-C63668D8569B.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 34

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
ive recently changed his substrate to a soil mix not the bark as it was far too dry and didn’t hold humidity well (so ignore that, I know it’s bad)

I wouldnt worry, your tort doesnt look unhealthy. coco coir and orchid bark are generally the best, soil is not reccomended because you just cant know what foreign objects or toxins might be in it. These guys can tolerate lower humidity than the tropical species but a humid hide is important, they are easy to make if you dont have one already.