Hibernating my hermann

fukkatsu

5 Year Member
I have been preparing my 4 year old hermann for controlled hibernation as advised (gradual reduction of light and heat, baths and fasting) and now his guts seem clear his Jackson ratio value is on the light side (between 0.16 and 0.17). I was only going to hibernate him for 6 weeks max but I fear he might be too light. He seems healthy but the wind down period might have lasted too long... Any advice?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
I shoot for the Jackson ratio of .19 min before the wind down period starts. I don't pay much attention to it after that.
I've never lost an animal in hibernation and I hibernate ALL my torts, hatchling on up.

fukkatsu

5 Year Member
Thanks for this. Before wind down his Jackson ratio was 0.193. I was a bit surprised about the drop in weight but since my post I realised that my scales needed a clean as all my torties were weighing considerably lighter. After cleaning them his Jackson ratio went up to 0.184 so it's all good. He'll be having his final bath tomorrow. What temperature should his last bath be at? Thanks :)

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I never know what temps the water should be during the wind down. I go for slightly warm, uncomfortable for a human bath.

I to would be interested in what water temps others use for wind down!

fukkatsu

5 Year Member
Hopefully somebody will advise. If the water is nice and warm he becomes hyperactive after his bath...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Not a warm soak....but not cold either....I mean have you been keeping indoors for the wind down? if yes then tepid water is fine....

fukkatsu

5 Year Member
Hello, yes he's been indoors. He's currently on his last night of wind down in a cool room at 11-12C. Do you think a bath at 18C tomorrow morning will be about right? I'll then dry him and cool him.... Thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would imagine that is going to be fine...a little cool but not cold. What is your hibernacle for the actual brumation period? Where in the world are you located? I mean here in the US we did the start of brumation for "most" species around the end/start of Nov and runs through end of March to start of April....:D

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I always shoot for 16 weeks max (for any size tort) hibernation, so I like to shoot for putting them down in early-mid January. I know the question was not directed at me, but I live in NY.

fukkatsu

5 Year Member
Hello, I'm in the UK and, because the weather is very variable here, I'm going for the most popular method here, i.e. the fridge method. This winter hasn't been very cold so far... He's only getting 6 weeks of brumation so it'll still be winter when he wakes up....

fukkatsu

5 Year Member
Hello, I just thought I'd let you all know that after 6 weeks in the fridge, I have today taken my 4 year old Hermann Gregoire out of it. He woke up within one hour or so and after a few hours spent basking and after a bath he was already eating like a piglet :)ImageUploadedByTortForum1393709429.244573.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: