Hibernation help

ELLIE753

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom, West Sussex
Hi,

Absolutely freaking out! Tortoises have gone into hibernation ( I think! Dug holes and buried themselves, they are newley rescued, not looked after very well when got them) without being weighed. Still outside and weather is getting really cold. One is 15 and other about 7 ( kept separately). I am unsure what to do as there First winter with me. No idea what they weighed when first rescued If any one could shed some light would be grateful! I am incredibly worried and nervous about doing the right thing! So I follow normal hibernation rules?? Help!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from a few miles away in West Kent :)

It is far too cold for any tortoise to be living outside in this area now. I would have hibernated them a couple of weeks ago assuming they were fit enough.

They should not be left outside to make it up as they go along? The risks from frost, damp and predators and rodents are too high.

Firstly, take each tortoise and weigh and measure it. Weight in grammes. Straight carapace length measured like this in centimetres. Then check them against the Jackson ratio here http://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/site/171.asp

If each is in the healthy range for the Jackson Ratio, then they can be hibernated ideally in a dedicated fridge. Any tort that isn't in the healthy range then you must setup a large indoor enclosure for it and overwinter it awake.

Let's start by finding out where we are and then we can work out next steps afterwards. I have successfully hibernated a tort in the UK for over 40 years... And had to over-winter him awake when he the year he was sick so can help on both!

ELLIE753

United Kingdom, West Sussex
Hello and welcome from a few miles away in West Kent :)

It is far too cold for any tortoise to be living outside in this area now. I would have hibernated them a couple of weeks ago assuming they were fit enough.

They should not be left outside to make it up as they go along? The risks from frost, damp and predators and rodents are too high.

Firstly, take each tortoise and weigh and measure it. Weight in grammes. Straight carapace length measured like this in centimetres. Then check them against the Jackson ratio here http://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/site/171.asp

If each is in the healthy range for the Jackson Ratio, then they can be hibernated ideally in a dedicated fridge. Any tort that isn't in the healthy range then you must setup a large indoor enclosure for it and overwinter it awake.

Let's start by finding out where we are and then we can work out next steps afterwards. I have successfully hibernated a tort in the UK for over 40 years... And had to over-winter him awake when he the year he was sick so can help on both!

Thank you SO much. As I rescued I am unsure of exact age but will have a look . Will follow your steps! I hope you don’t mind but I will post on here after I have done so for following advise. Have perfect space for indoor enclosure and a spare fridge! Thanks again