Hibernation questions.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
I have had Flash for 17 years, and I am sure she was an adult when I got her... She has never hibernated, as slows down but never fully hibernates. I am not sure if I should try this year? Also, night temps where I live in AZ are often in the 20s-30s, is that too cold? I am scared to death she will go down for the winter and never wake up :(

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
A lot of people, including me, hibernate in the garage or some method that allows you to check on your turtle frequently during the winter. I use plastic tubs with dirt and leaves. The garage is typically 40 to 50 degrees, which seems to do the trick. Checking on them every few weeks is very easy with this method.

You are thinking early about this. I am no expert, but I know hibernation of boxies is recommended for best life if they are healthy. It's always nerve wracking for me, but I recommend it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
20-30 is too cold for the turtle to remain outdoors without proper set up....the turtles can brumate under several feet of snow (but snow insulates) but can not do well in cold wet soil without insulation to not freeze when the temps drop below freezing for more than a couple of hours....so you may want to figure what method you will use (indoors in cold/dry area or refrigerator???)....