Hibiscus flowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MnM10

5 Year Member
So I'm trying my best to give a variety of plants to my little tort. And I was wondering where I could get hibiscus flowers- we live in San Diego, Cali. Thanks :)

revdrlon

5 Year Member
I would think that there would be some just growing around, at my apartment complex they have a bunch growing by the office so I just grab some of them. We also have wild grape, dandelion, aloe vera and prickly pear cactus growing here so I literally get all of my torts food for free.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Being a SD native ... myself .. heck they are all over the place. Ask your nieghbors ..
Where in SD are you ?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Just make sure they are chemical free. I bought mine at Home Depot but waited months before using. I rinsed the roots and added new soil.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Grow your own, or ask friends, neighbors and family if you can raid theirs. Just make sure they have not put any fertilizer granule type stuff down recently.

revdrlon said:
I would think that there would be some just growing around, at my apartment complex they have a bunch growing by the office so I just grab some of them. We also have wild grape, dandelion, aloe vera and prickly pear cactus growing here so I literally get all of my torts food for free.

Be aware that you are taking a big risk. Apartment complexes have whole staffs of landscapers. All it takes is for one of them to spray something or put down some granules and you could literally kill your tortoise. I asked the manger of the grounds keepers at my mother in laws condo complex if they used any sort of pesticides or fertilizers and he pleasantly assured me that, no, they didn't. He explained that they couldn't because of the kids and pets. The very next week I saw one of his guys walking around with the big back pack sprayer spraying weed killer every where. Since then I peeked into the shack and saw a whole arsenal of the typical lawn chemicals. At first I thought the man just didn't no what his people were doing, but after seeing the inside of their room, I know he just lied straight to my face, and smiled while he did it.

I wouldn't use the stuff that you find around your complex. It's a big gamble.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You live in SD and you don't have any growing? Calif is a great place to grow them and once started grow like weeds.
On the apartment complex I would avoid using them if they are bug free they are probably being sprayed, even if you ask they may not know for sure.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
You guys in Cali are lucky. I was going to buy a hibiscus and plant outside but was told that it would just die over our winter and I would have to buy and plant another next year.:( The man at our nursery did say they had some sort of hardy hibiscus that would survive our winter. I may give that one a try.

MnM10

5 Year Member
Well I haven't gotten any plants from random places esp my apartment complex bc of the fact that I don't know what chemicals are used as I'd rather not take the risk. I would prefer to just buy something while I grow some plants myself.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Wouldnt pick any random ones, you can buy your own bush at home depot lowes and osh.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I live in San Diego too. My hibiscus is always battling pests. I spray it with food safe soap which helps but they never totally go away. Pumpkin grows great on my tortoise bunker roof. The leaves grow quickly and our big girl keeps them trimmed. She loves the flowers too! Also try grape vines.

revdrlon

5 Year Member
Actually our complex is certified green and they have the toxicity reports to back it up, it is the only complex in the city that can claim it and use it as a selling point. It is the most pet friendly complex in town.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
In San Diego hibisus are super easy to grow. I find the bright pink ones do best. I have about 7 plants but my 3 pinks produce flowers all year. In San Diego you can even buy them at most grocery stores. I bought most of mine at Home Depot 12 years ago when I was just starting to landscaping my yard.
If you are near Ramona you are welcome to come picking in my yard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.