Status
Not open for further replies.

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi all,

I was on the west side of Michigan and noticed someone had a large Hibiscus growing directly in their yard. I didn't think they survived our winters, but this tree was definitely established. I would love to plant one, if they will live. I have been keeping smaller ones on the deck over the summer and feeding the flowers to the tortoises and the Iguana.

Does anyone know the requirements for these? I only recently learned that there are cactii that survive Michigan winters too. I'm going to attempt growing some of those and see what happens.

I am not good with plants, if they need to overwinter indoors :rolleyes:

Be well

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
This should help http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/gindr.html

There are two kinds of Hibiscus, tropical and hardy. The site will show you how to identify which is which, since stores lump them all together.

http://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/Perennials/HardyHibiscus.cfm

Kristina

Here is some cactus info too...

The two species of Optunia native to michigan are Opuntia compressa and Opuntia fragilis.

Optunia compressa, EasternPrickly Pear

Opuntia040614.jpg

Optunia fragilis, Brittle Prickly Pear

opuntia_fragilis.jpg

We are zoned 5b-4a in the lower peninnsula, depending on where you are.

Here are some hardy ones :)

http://www.coldhardycactus.com/Pages/Opuntia.htm

Kristina

M

Maggie Cummings

It snows and freezes here also, what I have planted are a hardy species of Hibiscus called Rose of Sharon and they do quite well in colder climates. they go dormant in the winter and come back in the spring...and your tortoises will love them!!!

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
Thanks for the great info Kristina and Maggie. After all of the enclosure pics lately, I'm anxious to rework our backyard(wife permitting ;)). I've been staring out at our snow-covered backyard and planning where I can add a few pens and new landscaping. It will be fun adding some of these new plants.

Be well

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
jpeck425 said:
Hi all,

I was on the west side of Michigan and noticed someone had a large Hibiscus growing directly in their yard. I didn't think they survived our winters, but this tree was definitely established. I would love to plant one, if they will live. I have been keeping smaller ones on the deck over the summer and feeding the flowers to the tortoises and the Iguana.

Does anyone know the requirements for these? I only recently learned that there are cactii that survive Michigan winters too. I'm going to attempt growing some of those and see what happens.

I am not good with plants, if they need to overwinter indoors :rolleyes:

Be well

I looked briefly at those links.. they didn't seem to consider the 3rd(?) Hibiscus [ Maggie mentioned ].. Rose of Sharon! They are good to -20F.. and grow to 10' easily.

Redfoots love the leaves and flowers. Their outdoor enclosure is about 24' x 30' with a couple dozen [ 4'-6' ] Rose of Sharon planted 4' apart.. thru-out. In the summer "bloom-season" there are hundreds of flowers for my redfoots to feed on.. for at least 2 months. Imagine when they really 'mature'.. "manna from Heaven"!

Early summer '08 -

ARoseofSharonhavenII.jpg

ARoseofSharonhaven.jpg

PLANT ROSE OF SHARON!!!

NERD

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I feel you Jeff! I have been doing the same thing. I just can't wait for spring.

What are your plans? I am going to build a raised bed for my Sullies. The exterior will be built from cinder block, and then I will lay down some landscape fabric, and a layer of scree. Then I am going to put a 50/50 peat/sand mix about two feet deep. It won't last forever, but my Russians can eventually inherit it, when I actually get some Russians, that is, lol. Having trouble finding some.

I am also going to build a pond for my aquatics. I have the liner, the pump, the plumping, and waterfall foam sealant already :)

I was going to ask... Where did you get your Hingebacks? I am VERY interested in them. I may be taking on a Spiny Tail Iguana, too.

Kristina

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
kyryah...where are you located? I am in WI and a few weeks ago I rescued a Homes Hingeback (female, named Charlotte) they are also known as Forest Hingebacks. She will be up for adoption soon, the Serpent Sanctuary has her now...(I gave her to them because she was in need of a hefty amount of vet care, I really just wanted to get her out of the petshop) She's about 3-4 years old the vet said...

She has a URI, and hookworm right now, but she is on antibiotic shots, and wormer, and should be at 100% soon. Here's Heather's website. If you are near here, you could hit her up. http://www.serpentsanctuary.org/3001.html

I think I have some pics of Charlotte in another thread....

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am in Michigan, so I don't think it would work, since it is too cold for shipping and most rescues don't care for shipping (I know I prefer not to.)

That trip around the big pond is a killer when it comes to MI/WI relations! If it was a straight shot it wouldn't be so darn bad!

Kristina

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
Thanks Terry, nice looking pens. All of these outside photos are killing me, lol, I'm about 4 months away from being able to work on anything :D

Kristina, my forest hingebacks came from a few different sources. One belonged to my friend's brother and needed a home and the other two were at a store and arrived in poor condition. Because I am a Salesrep to the Pet Stores, many of them will let me take unhealthy or unsellable animals for free or at their cost, rather than letting them waste in the store. Some I keep permantly and some I rehome, when I find the right owner and environment. Sometimes it takes years to find an acceptable rehome.

I hadn't initially planned on the keeping the Hingebacks long-term, but I have to admit they have really grown on me. Once they acclimate, their personalities really start to show. They can be as outgoing as any cantankerous Box Turtle that I've kept, lol. I'd like to try my hand at breeding these gentle souls. Not for profit, just the experience and for the knowledge. I think they'll need another year or so of cycling before they are ready. I've seen some breeding attempts, but my lone female is very shy unless there nightcrawlers involved. My hopes are to get them outside this summer.

Be well

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
jpeck425 said:
Thanks Terry, nice looking pens. All of these outside photos are killing me, lol, I'm about 4 months away from being able to work on anything :D

Kristina, my forest hingebacks came from a few different sources. One belonged to my friend's brother and needed a home and the other two were at a store and arrived in poor condition. Because I am a Salesrep to the Pet Stores, many of them will let me take unhealthy or unsellable animals for free or at their cost, rather than letting them waste in the store. Some I keep permantly and some I rehome, when I find the right owner and environment. Sometimes it takes years to find an acceptable rehome.

I hadn't initially planned on the keeping the Hingebacks long-term, but I have to admit they have really grown on me. Once they acclimate, their personalities really start to show. They can be as outgoing as any cantankerous Box Turtle that I've kept, lol. I'd like to try my hand at breeding these gentle souls. Not for profit, just the experience and for the knowledge. I think they'll need another year or so of cycling before they are ready. I've seen some breeding attempts, but my lone female is very shy unless there nightcrawlers involved. My hopes are to get them outside this summer.

Be well

Thanks :) If you happen to get any more, please let me know. I would like to go through your application process. I am very, very interested in them, and I would love the chance to adopt one or two.

Kristina

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Anyone know how long it takes a Rose of Sharon (from what I've read it's a more cold-resistant type of Hibiscus) to grow from seed to bloom, if I wanted to plant it indoors in a pot? I would put in on the windowsill. I was thinking of ordering seeds online since I can't find them near me, and hoping to have some tort food by Spring...do they grow that fast? Thanks!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Hmmm, not sure on how fast they grow, but might you be able to get a young plant rather than seeds? That might help out with the time factor.

I will do a little digging around, I have some catologs and things, and see what I can find for you.

Kristina

That didn't take long... Here are 1 to 1 1/2 foot tall plants for $8.50 from the Arbor Day Foundation

http://www.arborday.org/shopping/trees/TreeDetail.cfm?ID=170

2-3 foot trees for as little as $2.49

http://directgardening.com/detail.asp?pid=6878&cc=g&dn=75&gclid=CLuz09jKu5gCFRFWagodpH60bA

More hardy Hibiscus

http://www.americanmeadows.com/Perennials/Hibiscus.aspx?gclid=CIWf877Ku5gCFSMSagod6CCxaA

HTH!
Kristina

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Thanks! I saw one site that had the plants well started but was closer to $30...I'll look into the links you posted.

I think I'd rather start from seeds due to the organic issue. The trees/shrubs I've seen sold online aren't organic, and then I'd have to wait to have them shipped until spring anyways (so spring + 3-6 months for the pesticides to subside is probably longer than the seeds would take). I'll have to keep that in mind if the seeds don't sprout though...I usually have bad luck with sprouts.

I let my little guy have fun in one of my seeds trays today and he just trampled everything and wasn't in the mood to munch. So much for that idea! He'll eat them if they are cut and put on top of his salad.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
In the spring Rose of Sharon and Hardy Hibiscus (H. moscheutos) both should be available at nurseries. Growing from seed would entail a great amount patence. Opuntia humafusa is also native to Michigan but be warned that all cactus native to Michigan are protected and can't be collected from the wild.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I know about the cactus being protected. Those were simply options of cactis that would do well in our climate.

Kristina

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would plant the plants so the torts had no access to them for at least 3 months. In West Michigan say you plant them in late April or early May, block tort access until July. I have found few organic nurseries carry ornamentals.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'm in Washington, and was planning to have one in a pot as we don't have a yard. That's disappointing if I would buy one this spring and still have to wait 3-6 months. I might have to drive into the city to get an organic one then.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Also check Burgess Seed & Plant Co. They have Rose of Sharon...6 for $3.99 & $9.49 to ship. That is still cheaper than $8 each.
Stokes Seeds has dandelion seeds...500 for $2.50
Prairiemoon has lots of wild plants and grasses.

It is easiest to order their catalogs so you can browse & check off what you want then go back & pick the best choices.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.