Holy Heatwave, Batman!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Here in south Louisiana ( as in other states) we've been having exceptionally severe heat. I don't worry about my Hermann's tortoise, Elsa, because I had her outdoor enclosure built with a large portion of it in deep shade. One day last week I decided to just check the ground temperatures in her enclosure. For people who have a different species of tortoise, the Eastern Hermann's does best in a temperature range of 75*-85* (F) with a basking area of about 95*. The ground in the deepest shade of her enclosure was 95*!!! WH-A-A-A-T??!?!?? I was shocked.
That meant that EVERYWHERE else she could possibly go would be higher than her recommended basking range- and the day was still early, so it was going to get hotter. Just for the heck of it I checked the temperature of the ground in the sun: 122*!!!!!! I almost panicked then, but found her inside one of her hides. Both her carapace and the skin fold in her shoulder registered 93*, so she was OK. I scooped her up and brought her inside to the small enclosure we use in the winter time and took her back out later, after the sun went down and things cooled off, at least into safe zones for her. So she's traveling in and out, depending on the time of day. USUALLY we only do this in the late Fall and early Spring, when nighttimes get too COLD for her if it's wet. But looks like we'll be doing it this summer, too!

Best wishes to everyone for safe heat management!!!
Mooz

P.S. She's taking this all with her usual serene acceptance. :<3: She is my guru.:<3:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here in south Louisiana ( as in other states) we've been having exceptionally severe heat. I don't worry about my Hermann's tortoise, Elsa, because I had her outdoor enclosure built with a large portion of it in deep shade. One day last week I decided to just check the ground temperatures in her enclosure. For people who have a different species of tortoise, the Eastern Hermann's does best in a temperature range of 75*-85* (F) with a basking area of about 95*. The ground in the deepest shade of her enclosure was 95*!!! WH-A-A-A-T??!?!?? I was shocked.
That meant that EVERYWHERE else she could possibly go would be higher than her recommended basking range- and the day was still early, so it was going to get hotter. Just for the heck of it I checked the temperature of the ground in the sun: 122*!!!!!! I almost panicked then, but found her inside one of her hides. Both her carapace and the skin fold in her shoulder registered 93*, so she was OK. I scooped her up and brought her inside to the small enclosure we use in the winter time and took her back out later, after the sun went down and things cooled off, at least into safe zones for her. So she's traveling in and out, depending on the time of day. USUALLY we only do this in the late Fall and early Spring, when nighttimes get too COLD for her if it's wet. But looks like we'll be doing it this summer, too!

Best wishes to everyone for safe heat management!!!
Mooz

P.S. She's taking this all with her usual serene acceptance. :<3: She is my guru.:<3:
It gets that hot in many parts of their natural range too. You can leave her outside. Run sprinklers if its dry and not raining for a few days. Put up some yard umbrellas or shade cloth if convenient.

Here is what blows my mind: I have seen many Testudo tortoises that are set up outside full time in the Phoenix, AZ area, and its over 110-120 almost every day there in summer. They have a bush here and there, and a small shelter, and somehow they survive and breed. Even where I am its 95-100 most summer days, with week long spells over 110 sometimes in summer. We always hit 112-115 at some point in summer, creeping up to 118 one year. Yet all the Testudo and other species do just fine.

The high humidity in your area is uncomfortable to humans who depend on evaporative cooling on our skin, but for reptiles, this is not really a factor.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
We have been having some really hit days too. With feel like temps over 100, actual temps 90+.
I usually run a sprinkler on my torts. It adds humidity and cools the area.
You might want to try that or even a mister hose.
Thanks, Wellington!!!! Great suggestion!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
It gets that hot in many parts of their natural range too. You can leave her outside. Run sprinklers if its dry and not raining for a few days. Put up some yard umbrellas or shade cloth if convenient.

Here is what blows my mind: I have seen many Testudo tortoises that are set up outside full time in the Phoenix, AZ area, and its over 110-120 almost every day there in summer. They have a bush here and there, and a small shelter, and somehow they survive and breed. Even where I am its 95-100 most summer days, with week long spells over 110 sometimes in summer. We always hit 112-115 at some point in summer, creeping up to 118 one year. Yet all the Testudo and other species do just fine.

The high humidity in your area is uncomfortable to humans who depend on evaporative cooling on our skin, but for reptiles, this is not really a factor.
Thanks so much, Tom! I'm relieved to know this! I'll make some adjustments and let her stay out!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
ahhh the heat here! I mean, it’s always hot, but it has been 105 or so every single day! I have to flood the enclosure just to keep the grass barely green. I measured the house brick with a thermometer and it said something like 158. So naturally, I cooked an egg on the house

It could be climate change, OR it is the invasion of Arizona