homeana eggs

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Help

Well, every now and then I search through the hingebacks substrate to collect any escapee worms for them. Today I found 2 eggs buried about 5" deep. Don't know how long they have been there or which female laid them. I'm certain they are from one of my original 2 females, because out of the 2 I just got last week, 1 had laid 3 eggs with flintus and the other laid 1 in transit and since then hidden quite a bit, although I've seen her eat mushrooms.
Anyway I can't believe how well they cover the nest back up. Because I wasn't expecting to see them I did actually rotate the 1st egg I saw(thought it was a mushroom). Will I have damaged this one.
So can someone help me what to do with these egg next. I have put them in a tub on coir substrate and laid spagnhum moss around them. They are in my tort room which is a constant 22c(71f) to 24c(75f).

Help with incubation methods please @tortadise @FLINTUS @Jacqui anyone. IMG_20150426_103014.jpg

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I think you're right that they're from your original pairs, they look different to the ones I had, and as we know, the small one at least doesn't bury her eggs-and the light one laid in the water rather than in the moss in transit, which could've provided some sort of nest at least.
I would have them in vermiculite personally, with a little bit of moss and leaf-litter over the top. Around 85% humidity. Keep them in a diapause for now, 24 should probably be fine, but maybe a tad warmer would be better-my eggs are set at 25 in my incubator for the diapause-homemade, just insulate a wooden box, add a tray for water, a couple of baking racks, and a heat mat on a thermostat. Then bring the temperatures upto about 27-28 after the diapause period.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My best luck came when I just left them where the female laid them.

Congrats!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well Willow has dug a hole under a piece of bark, looks like she may be ready to lay. This is the female I thought had laid the last 2 eggs I found. mmm
What is the maximum eggs layed with this species.

IMG_20150427_183419.jpg IMG_20150427_183459.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
5hrs from the start of digging she'd covered them and gone to sit on her own. Another 2 eggs from about 5" deep. :D:D
Amazing, so happy, couldn't see her lay them but filmed her covering them back up.

IMG_20150427_210339.jpg